difficulties with rdisk( )partition( )

amortal

difficulties with rdisk( )partition( )

Easy BCD has made the following. i do have two installations of winXP show up aas options, but cannot get either one to work. i get the creaded "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware problem...." fortunately the default to Win7 works OK.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on I:\" /fastdetect

is there some way to get / find the correct
rdisk( )partition( ) settings? somewhere on this forum/easyBCD help it mentions that the two lines should be identical. i don't know what that means. can anyone spot what is wrong?

drive D: is the 1st partition of the same drive HDD Win7 is on (drive C:smile:. drive I: is another internal HDD, with the original WinXP installed. The WinXP on drive D: is a exact duplication of the drive I XP partition. Since this installation was originally installed as drive C:, does XP fail to run because Windows expects to be running on C:?.

I read here

Dual Boot - XP W7 -Question about partitions and drive letters

that it is possible to set up a dual boot system so that whichever Windows is running it sees itself running on the C: drive. does anyone here know about setting that up with easyBCD?

thanks in advice

You are running EasyBCD in W7
W7 sees your XPs as D and I
That does not mean that's how they see themselves.
Disk letters are just virtual labels in the registry of the running system.
There are no disk letters in the BCD, EasyBCD is just telling you how the system you are running on sees them, by translating the UIDs.
Either delete the XP entry from the BCD and add it again letting EasyBCD auto-configure (that will give you a second NTLDR menu after you select XP from the bootmgr menu, and you can select the desired XP from that)
Or, delete the XP entry and add 2 manual entries to the BCD for XP on the drive letters as W7 sees them. ( that will give you a single bootmgr menu with 3 choices for W7 and either XP)
see the wiki for details of how EasyBCD achieves this feat, impossible by any other means.
There's no need to manually edit boot.ini if you're using EasyBCD 2.0

Last edited:
Back