HELP :(!! Installed a Windows 7 update and now windows wont start!

phile2

Hy!
This is pretty long, yet a simple/ non complicated issue( Bad patch), the lengh is due to me trying to explain and detail as much as possible my problem, so as to make it easier for you (THANK YOU!!) for helping me( THANK YOUUUU!!!!)

okok

to start, i have:

Asus laptop
4gb ram memory

Today, my windows update installed an SP1 pack for windows 7*64bit. but i dont think it installed properly and has now screwed it all up.

from power off, i turn the power on, i get the Asus startup symbol, then the computer either stays as a black screen or tell's me:

"

Windows Error Recovery
Windows failed to start. either due to a hardware or driver fault.
"

it then proposes to me to either Repair. or start normally. if i start normally= black screen/ nothing happends. if i repair, it does the check and then says it cant repair, these are the diagnostics:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem signature:
Problem event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem signature01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem signature03: unknown
Problem signature04: 21201053
Problem signature05: AutoFailover
Problem signature06: 3
Problem signature07: BadPatch
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

-------------------------------------------------------------

The diagnosis and repair details( way too long to type all out- so I could find something specific if you want), says at the end:

Root caused found:
A patch is preventing the system from starting.

--------------------------------------------------------------

when i start the computer and press F8, i have tried safe mode/safe mode command prompt/ last known configuration = nothing happens (black screen) or (through safe mode) it starts counting up all the drivers, untill it blocks at one called : classpnp.sys

I have tryed system restore, unfortunately i have no points of restore.

To reinstall and reset settings to manufacture settings, thus losing all my stuff: IS NOT option as i havent backed up some vital info i wrote a couple of days ago

i have downloaded (as instructed on your site Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki )the win 7 recovery cd and put the .iso on a dvd...i then selected in bios (by pressing F2 on startup), and

then windows loads the files, i get the sytem recovery options: pick my keyboard input- it searches for for windows instalations find it listed under (e:smile: and then system restore( as mentioned before i didtn have anything- so still doesnt work), sytem image recover(nothing for it either)

start startup repair and this time tells me to restart computer to complete repairs and no luck- back to the same "windows error recovery" page. i repeated the system repair several times, as instructed by your site again and no change...

So could i please please please have some help for this and a detailed explanation on how to fix this and thank you so much for your time and help!!!

Addendum:

PS: i have a second OS on my stem, that came pre-instelled on the laptop, i think its linux based: SPLASHTOP. i can access it (theres a separate button for it on the keyboard), and i can browse the internet, and access photos( through that i can browse though my C drive, and Data drive ( i can see all folder names, but obviously cant open them)

PSS: at my last attempt at system repair with the Recovery cd, the startup repair tells me that it can NOT find any errors with my comp. i restart my computer, and back to the black screen.... :frowning:

Addendum:

PSSS: second time i restart i get again the windows error recovery page....no change/ no fix

Last edited:
Use your Linux system to save all of your user files on external storage as described here
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
then do the factory reset.
How come you have no restore points ? SP1 sets one immediately before starting the update. That would be the normal recovery route. Is there a shortage of space on your W7 drive ? Restore points are kept on a fifo queue keeping as many as you have space for (or have allowed space for - you can allocate more in Control Panel > System > Protection > Configure)

I dont know why i dont have restore points...well i dont know why SP1 pack didnt create one. i know whtat i dont have any as i personaly was never bothered to set it up (thumps his head against anything he can find). i dont beleive i have a shortage of space, as before starting the instalation i had 25GB free on C drive and 23GB free on D drive (data)...and for the mo i cant access the control panel(but will do when up and running again, thank you)

So is factory settings my only option then :frowning: sniffsniff ( pain to get/ dwld all programs again) ...is there no command prompts to delete the latest patch, or something...?
(thank you!)

If the problem was caused by a Windows update, you can get free one-to-one support from Microsoft. They might be able to get you out of trouble without a factory reset, but from your description, all normal alternatives are not viable.
You can contact them by following the links from Windows Update "update history".

Have now got a copy of Ubuntu on a disc, loaded up and works great. i did not need to go through any of the steps in the link you sent me though, as the drives opened when i double-clicked and am now in the process of copying all data to ext.harddrive. i will contact windows tomorow, and try, if not i gues its factory reset time... Thanks Terry for your guidance!! last Q: is it worth installing Ubuntu on the computer ( can i access- chose to boot from the ubuntu OS from the boot page on startup?), or is it better to keep it handy on a disc? (if i use it, it would for situations like this...) ? cheers!!

You can probably rollback the bad patch.

Boot to command prompt ( you need to do this offline ).

Either from F8 winre, or by booting win 7 dvd /repair cd.

Find your win7 partition letter:

at cmd prompt, type:

diskpart

lis vol

( find your win 7 partition letter - use that instead of z below )

exi

(to leave diskpart )

cd /d z:\windows\system32

DISM /image:z:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

i am having the exact same problem with my asus laptop. will i need to reinstall windows after the factory reset?
Thanks

No, the factory reset does what the name implies. The PC will look like it was the day you took it out of the box.

Back