Login Lockput - Keylog Trojan

vgarrahan

This is an alert for your users, and, if possible, a request for help.

I'm running Windows XP, SP2. In 42 years, I have managed to avoid bugs and crashes. I am considered expert with computers and software.
In supporting a website, I accidentally accepted a cookie that I wasn't sure about. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the originator of the cookie. Shortly afterwards, whenever I started up IE-7, it would default to MicroSoft website to upgrade to Windows Media Player 11. I thought that strange since I am running that version. I also run Ad-aware 6. It alerted me to a program (MicroSoft) attempting to change one of my registry keys. Initially, I kept rejecting the attempt. Eventually, thinking that it would stop hijacking my IE, I allowed the modification. It did stop the hijacking of IE, however, when I turned off my computer, and then restarted it, I could not get past the initial logon screen.

I am locked out of my computer. I don't know of any way to circumvent this problem. I have tried using the F8 key with all the options available, including rolling back to the last working backup Nothing works. I haven't done it yet, but MS knowledge base says that the only thing to do is to reinstall all the software - a huge hastle - I have a ton of software (legal) and data, that I have accumulated over the past 3 years.

Do you have any suggestions how I may resolve this issue, short of a full reinstall?

I had run virus scan 2 days before this happened with no viruses found. When the cookie was downloaded, McAfee didn't recognize it as a trojan (must be new).

If any one has any suggestions on how to get past the login screen, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Vince Garrahan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vince,

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, hopefully we can be of help.

Just for the record, we recommend Kaspersky (first choice) or NOD32 for protection against viruses, trojans, and others of their ilk.

With regards to your particular problem: my suggestion would be to go for a *repair* reinstall of Windows XP - also known as a an "in-place upgrade."

The guide on repair-installing Windows XP can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q315/3/41.asp

This should do the trick, if not, post back and we'll discuss some other (more time-consuming) options - don't give up though, there's always a solution :smile:

Topic Moved

Back