Vista Ultimate and XP Pro

Hickman

I'm running Vista Ultimate and XP Pro. All was going good could see both systems in the boot menu until I unplugged my sada drive. . My XP is on D:\ and Vista is on C:\ It's been, so long ago that I don't remember how I had the set up. With Vista being on C: and XP on D: How do I get it to go now? I tried to set it up this way in the edit and It didn't go. Is there anyway I can get this setup right? It worked before. I know this is all messed up. D:\Windows.old.000\Windows\system32\winload.exe Where XP is. [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows.old.000\Windows\system32\winload.exe\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" Thanks

You cannot boot Vista/7/8 from the XP NTLDR/boot.ini.
You must change the BIOS boot sequence to put the Vista drive before XP.
Once Vista boots and is using the bootmgr/BCD then it can chain to NTLDR and boot XP.
It cannot be achieved the other way round.
If you are on a Dell PC and cannot change the BIOS HDD sequence, then swap the cables.

Does the script look right? XP isn't even seen. Boots right to Vista and I can't add an entry as sen in the pic.
D:\Windows.old.000\Windows\system32\winload.exe is where XP is.

There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Vista
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows.old.000\Windows\system32\winload.exe\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Attachments

• No entery.JPG
    No entery.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 2
winload.exe is the Vista boot loader, nothing to do with XP.
XP is in a folder called Windows or WINNT.
Windows.old is a folder created when you upgrade one OS to another. It contains the old (pre-upgrade OS) and is there for fallback purposes if you decide to abandon the upgrade and go back to the old OS via system restore.
Once the upgrade is successfully in use, Windows.old should be deleted to get the space back. It can't be used to dual boot. Each system in a multi-boot needs its own partition.

Vista Ultimate is on C:. There is a WINNT (XP) Directory and it's on D: Which I named D: to Vista. Is there anyway I can direct the EasyBCD that way?
Thanks

Attachments

• vista c.JPG
    vista c.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 2
  • WINNT.JPG
    WINNT.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 3
Are you using the latest level of EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/easybcd-2-1-and-some-big-changes/
because some of the earlier builds had XP detection problems which have been resolved
If there's a WINNT folder it should find it when you delete the garbage XP entry from the BCD and add a new one (auto-configure)
I go to the link and it says Your IP has been blocked? What is that all about?
I don't know what that was all about, but Uninstalled, got the newest version and reinstalled. We'll see if it gos. Sorry for all of the extra posts on the problem, but it worked before and hoping it will work again.
Thanks

Addendum:

Again sorry for all of the extra post on this, but still not working. As you can see in the pic that I have D:\WINNT\System32\login.cmd and Easy can't find it. Could it be a sharing problem?
Thanks

Addendum:

Never mind on the login. I need the NTDLR and its not on D: where XP is and why just unplugging a drive and back in mess this all up?
Thanks again...

Last edited:
You don't need the NTLDR, EasyBCD will put that where it needs it, but the way EasyBCD detects XP is by finding that folder and then checking that the ntoskrnl version in System32 is the correct number for XP (5.....)
Is the XP kernel present ?

If those requirements are met (and the kernel level = 5.x), then EasyBCD should find it and create a BCD entry for you.
If it doesn't, post a full Disk Management screenshot and the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" as described at the end of the sticky

Here ya go. here is one entry in the Windows bootloader. Default: Vista Ultimate Timeout: 10 seconds EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\ Entry #1 Name: Vista Ultimate BCD ID: {current} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Attachments

• di9skman.JPG
    di9skman.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried changing the BIOS boot sequence as I originally advised ?

That's what it was and seeing both now. But why had it changed? All I had done was get files off of an old HD. Plugged the Sada back in and it had changed. Plus it was Vista Home Premium. Not XP. It had been messed up, so long I had forgotten.
Thank for all of your time.

If you unplug a drive and boot the PC, the BIOS removes that drive from its list.
If you put it back again, it will be detected and added to the list again, but not at the top.

I sure do appreciate all of your time and help. I finally got to see the other side of town that hasn't been seen for a long time.
Thank you again!

Back