HELP Manually Repairing the Bootloader

1sennafan

HELP and Thanks in Advance !
This is all new to me, so please excuse my ignorance.
My laptop just all of a sudden shut down for no apparent reason while it was batch resizing some photos. When it started back up again it won’t boot. It said it tried several times to repair the problem however it can’t be done automatically.
At the end of the Diagnosis and repair details report it says:
“Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\drivers\megasr.sys is corrupt.”
I've burnt multiple copies of the Vista Recovery ISO just to make sure I did it right.
Option 1 didn’t seem to help so I did the all three options including Nuclear Holocaust from Command Prompt “C:\>” did I screw up already? I got to the end and it said “operation completed successfully”. So I reboot and Windows Boot Manager says "Failed to load because system driver is missing or corrupt File:\Windows|system32\Drivers\megasr.sys".
When I open Command Prompt I see “x:\windows\system32>” is this where I need to start with “bootrec.exe /fixmbr”?
Per another post I ran “chkdsk /f C:” and it tells me I have 4kb in bad sectors. What does this mean?
What am I doing wrong?
I tried to get photos to help in this fix, if anything else would help let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 4
Stop trying to repair the boot loader. That's not your problem.
When you start the PC the sequence of events is summarized as

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

Startup Repair is for a broken step2.
Your problem is that one of the essential drivers (to do with RAID in your case) which the kernel is trying to load in either 3 or 4 has become corrupted on your HDD.
Do you use RAID ?
If not, maybe somehow your BIOS RAID settings have been altered.
If so, you need to replace the corrupt driver
Try
How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Last edited:
Stop trying to repair the boot loader. That's not your problem.
When you start the PC the sequence of events is summarized as

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

Startup Repair is for a broken step2.
Your problem is that one of the essential drivers (to do with RAID in your case) which the kernel is trying to load in either 3 or 4 has become corrupted on your HDD.
Do you use RAID ?
If not, maybe somehow your BIOS RAID settings have been altered.
If so, you need to replace the corrupt driver
Try
How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Do I use RAID?
No I don’t think so. How do I determine if I do?
I don’t see any RAID settings in the BIOS.

I cant get in to windows to get to the command prompt to use

SFC Tool.
Im using Vista Recovery ISO CD, I tried sfc.exe in “launch command line prompt” but I get “Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service”
Any other ideas how to get to SFC.exe or replace the corrupt driver?

Last edited:
Back