Boot from Clone

JohnAC

Hi,

I have created a non-bootable clone for my Toshiba L745-S4310 Windows 7 Laptop, that I want to be bootable in the same machine as a replacement in case of failure.

It is Drive J when attached by USB, but will of course be Drive C when it is installed in the laptop (as a replacement in case of failure).

Both drives are similar Toshiba Hard Drives MK5065GSXN and MK5076GSX (replacement).

I used BCD Deployment selected install windows bootloader and selected J Drive to Write MBR.

It said it was successful.

But, when I put the clone drive into the Laptop, it says there is no bootable Drive.

John

Addendum:

Hi all,

I tried doing the Install BCD, then Install BCD followed by Write MRB.

Now, I get

Insert Windows Installation Disk
File Boot\BCD

The Windows Boot configuration does not contain a valid OS entry.

Using BCD Store everything seems to be correct.

John

Hi,

I have created a non-bootable clone for my Toshiba L745-S4310 Windows 7 Laptop, that I want to be bootable in the same machine as a replacement in case of failure.

It is Drive J when attached by USB, but will of course be Drive C when it is installed in the laptop (as a replacement in case of failure).

Both drives are similar Toshiba Hard Drives MK5065GSXN and MK5076GSX (replacement).

I used BCD Deployment selected install windows bootloader and selected J Drive to Write MBR.

It said it was successful.

But, when I put the clone drive into the Laptop, it says there is no bootable Drive.

John

Last edited:
The BCD deployment page contains two completely separate functions.
Create bootable EXTERNAL media (my emphasis), and
MBR configuration options.
You cannot "write MBR" to a specified drive, that's in the option above.
If you've cloned your HDD to a spare, you've already got all of the boot files and an MBR on it, and you need do no more if the cloning program was Vista/7 compatible. Otherwise, you should put it in the PC, boot from your Vista/7 DVD and "startup repair" the clone (3 times) till the cloned BCD reflects its proper UIDs for the new HDD.

Back