Trying to use USB drive to recover a 64b Windows 7 laptop ; stuck on walkthrough

Hi everyone,

I recently installed Windows Security Essentials on my Asus Windows 7 64b laptop. It found a virus, but needed me to run an Windows Defender Offline to remove it. I did this, but the computer would not boot afterword. System Restore did not work.

I purchased a 64b recovery iso from SystemDiscs [dot] com, and used EasyBCD to turn my flash drive into a recovery disk.

I then began following this walkthrough: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Windows+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

Option one (Automated Recovery) did not work.

I'm currently stuck in option two.

When it asks me to type "
attrib -h -s C:\boot\BCD," it returns the error "Could Not Find C:\boot\BCD"

I suspect I am designating the wrong boot drive, but I'm not sure how to find the correct one. C:, D:, and E:, return different errors, but were all "Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode" in the step before this.

How do I find the boot drive?

Addendum:

Here are the details from the automated repair's failure, if some valiant soul wants to help me save my computer.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature03: unknown
Problem Signature04: -1
Problem Signature05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature06: 1
Problem Signature07: NoOsInstalled
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

The "NoOsInstalled" bit is freaking me out; it had Windows 7 on it the night before... the computer didn't come with recovery disks, or the OS disk. :|

Addendum:

If I try to boot the OS normally, I see the following:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows Installation Disk and Restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. Click "repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

Last edited:
Check that you're booting with the correct HDD first in the BIOS boot sequence if you have more than one.
Then check that the "active" flag is in the correct place on the right HDD.
If you wan't to locate the letter that the recovery stick is assigning to your boot disk, use
dir x:\ (where x is a to z progressively)
when you hit the letter with a Windows folder, that's your C disk (when it's running)
the letter with a \boot folder is the boot disk, which might or might not be the same place as Windows depending on how W7 was installed.
By default the W7 setup puts the boot files on a small 100Mb partition it calls "System Reserved", but on an OEM pre-installed OS, that most probably has been incorporated into the OEM recovery partition.

Back