need win xp boot from usb

Cabbits

I bought win7 boot from NeoSmart It worked really well. But I am trying to help a friend with her xp pc that won't boot. So I am wondering if NeoSmart has soft for Win 7 and Vista why not XP? I really want to help my friend.

The reason that we dont have software for XP is that XP does not use the BCD to boot. It uses older technology called the boot.ini file. The BCD was introduced with Windows Vista and has been used since. The only way to fix a XP Boot issue is with the XP CD, which cant be hosted or downloaded legally.

So while you can use EasyBCD to add boot entries for XP, XP is not controlled by the BCD to boot. :wink:

Okay I understand I can not use this soft to boot an xp PC. I have an xp CD but the xp pc does not have a cd drive, it can however boot from a USB flash drive. Can you tell me how to make a USB flash drive a bootable for xp?

Addendum:

Yes I agree and I would like to try that. I do not know how to reply to your message and I am a girl LOL Thank you for trying to help me. :smile:

Last edited:
okay Thank you! Sorry I asked for help on PM Been trying to help this friend with this pc for a long time, pulling my hair out. I got a little over-excited thinking maybe, with a little help I could finally get this PC back to her working. When she told me the problem, I was thinking it would be easy to fix. I tried many things and nothing has worked so far.

Addendum:

Thank you for that. I got it. But the PC has no rom drive. in the boot menu I can boot from usb, and I have a flashdrive, but I do not know how to make the flashdrive bootable, so I can boot the pc with the file I just got.

Last edited:
You'll need to use EasyBCD. I assume that's how you got the Vista/7 ISO converted to a USB.

Copy the ISO to your USB
EasyBCD, create bootable USB. Add new entry -> ISO -> Load from Disk -> Add

Alex, I think (s)he's referring to the system repair CDs.

Yes I figured that much. Just wanted to give information why we only had Vista and Win7 Recovery Disks available. :wink:

How to Create a Bootable XP Flash Drive | eHow.com

There is a guide on how to make a bootable XP Flash Drive.

A bit more information on why we only have Vista and Win7 Recovery Disks. We, well Guru, had Recovery Disks for the longest time in regards to Vista and Win7. These disks were first hosted by this site but that was abused. Then we put them up as Torrent files to be downloaded. It was okay for years, but finally Microsoft got upset that we had Recovery CD's available for download. After much talks back and forth, Guru was able to work out a solution with Microsoft and paid them so we could still continue to do this. He paid them licensing fees. So we had to end up charging a fee for the disks to be downloaded to cover the cost of the licensing fees.

We never did have a XP Recovery CD due to the fact that EasyBCD was centered around the BCD in use with Vista/Win7. Add into that there was never a XP Recovery disk ever created that allowed the person to boot to options that only allowed for boot fixes and restore points to be used. XP CD's when they were created was an all or nothing option. It wasnt until Vista that Microsoft allowed such options to be available. So it was tough to come up with a recovery option just for XP.

We have had work around. but nothing that was bullet proof and would work all the time. Given that XP is so old and was very touchy about how things were placed in the boot.ini file. But if somethings that are in the works come to life, things could change. So stay tuned to NeoSmart as guru always has a trick up his sleeve.

I tried everything I can think of.

First, I did not make win 7 a bootable USB. Put it on CD, because at the time I bought it I could not find my Flash Drive. But I went and bought more since. Thank you for telling me how to use EasyBCD to make a Bootable Flash Drive. I did it for the xp pc. When I clicked add entry, it said the soft was added successfully. Then I took the FD out of my win7 pc and put it into the xp (friends broken PC) I went into the boot menu and changed the order to one of the usb choices I save and exit then pc goes off and I turn it back on and it goes right to the hard drive, to the part that won't boot. I even tried to switch the FD to different usb ports on the pc to make sure the ports were not bad. There aew seceral choices to boot from in the boot menu. USB FDD <--- this is the one I thought I needed to use for the boot from flash drive USB HDD, IDEO : WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCTO, Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent, IDE1, USB CDROM That is all six choices. If I did everything right, with the infor and all that you gave me, the PC should boot right off the USB flash Drive. But it is not. :frowning: Thank you so much for trying to help me. It means alot.

Did you explicitly install the BCD to the USB, or did you just add new entry to the PC you were working on?

I am not sure what you mean by explicitly install. I cilicked on the link and it downloaded the file to my download files on my win7 pc then I put the flashdrive into my Pc and I drag and dropped the file into the flashdrive. Then I opened easycdb and did what you said. Then I took the flashdrive out of my win7pc and put it into the xp pc and tried to boot it.

Addendum:

This is what the PC is doing, it tries to boot into safe mode and it stops here "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys"

Addendum:

Was I posed to download directly into the formatted USB drive? Wait I downloaded EasyBCD to my win7pc not to the flashdrive. It has to be downloaded directly into the USBflash drive and installed inside the flash drive?

Last edited:
Cabbits, EasyBCD doesn't help you boot that way, it just runs in Windows to modify your BCD store on the Vista / 7 install of the PC it is installed to. Nothing more.

If you need an XP recovery environment that boots from USB, you can create a BartPE, or LiveXP system. This will take a bit of time and a slight learning curve. You need a valid original XP install CD and key to create this. However, it can be helpful in the long run.

The driver agpCPQ.sys may be corrupted or compromised by a virus, it could also be the driver trying to load right after agpCPQ.sys

You might want to create a bootable USB key with antivirus and scan the volume, such as the BitDefender one. You should be able to use Unetbootin and the BitDefender iso to make the key.

Anyway, you can use a guide here for the BitDefender key - Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux
General advanced boot disk / UFD creation - reboot.pro

Back