[INVALID] EasyBCD 2.1.2 Doesn't recognize Vista bootloader isn't installed.

Jim Walker

Distinguished Member
Using EasyBDC 2.1.2 with instructions from How to: Install the Vista Bootloader on Windows XP page http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to-install-the-vista-bootloader-on-a-windows-xp-machine/ step 4 is:
"Run EasyBCD. When you first start it, it’ll tell you what you already know: the Vista bootloader isn’t installed! It’ll ask if you want to repair it – (obviously) click yes."

When I follow the instructions, EasyBCD 2.1.2 doesn't recognize Vista bootloader isn't installed in step 4.

Played around and got it working with Vista Boot folder. Replaced Vista Boot folder with Windows 7 Boot folder and that works with EasyBCD too.

That was a feature in 1.x that was dropped in 2.0

You'll have to use 1.7.2 to get the desired effect. (Not a bug)

It's not that the steps are different, it can't be done with the latest EasyBCD.

Ok. I found your website with Google search results linking to that page. If it can't be done with the latest EasyBCD then update the page to say so and save others the frustration that I had.

I probably will, but we've written hundreds of posts and how-tos over the years, not all of which are necessarily still current. If I were obligated to keep everything up to date, I probably wouldn't bother writing guides in the first place.

Back