UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME (WINDOWS 7, 64-bit)

mixtiplix

Just got an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUMEN error blue screen when starting up my new laptop.

Rebooting on Secure Mode is not helping.

I downloaded EasyBCD Lite: Recovery Essentials and started "Attemp automated repair", but i'ts been running for 6 hours now with no signs of coming to an end...

Can anyone please advise if I followed the correct steps or there's something else I shoud have tried in ths case?

Thanks you all in advance!

It certainly should not take 6 hours to perform the required actions. It sounds as if the drive has lost its partition table or the drive itself has been damaged. You can use the Partition Editor located on the Recovery Essentials disk and see what it says there and report back to us with its findings.

You could also use GParted.

GParted -- Download

Either the LivdCD version or the USB version and use that to see what is going on with your partitions.

What's it been doing for 6 hours ?
Did it get to the repair dialogue, or is it still "loading files".
If the latter, then it's having problems locating/reading your HDD.
As Mak said, that could indicate big problems with your HDD, or (if you're lucky) it may be as simple as bad contacts preventing the read.
Try disconnecting/reconnecting all the HDD cables several times to clean up the contacts. (or eject/reinsert for laptop)

What's it been doing for 6 hours ?
Did it get to the repair dialogue, or is it still "loading files".
If the latter, then it's having problems locating/reading your HDD.
As Mak said, that could indicate big problems with your HDD, or (if you're lucky) it may be as simple as bad contacts preventing the read.
Try disconnecting/reconnecting all the HDD cables several times to clean up the contacts. (or eject/reinsert for laptop)

Thanks for your reply. I was mainly concerned about the never-ending Repair process... Now I've booted the laptop with an Ubuntu DVD and managed to copy all the documents to a safe place :wink:

Also, I created a System recovery Disc from another PC using Windows 7, and tried to recover the original system, butr it got stuck again in the system selection Dialog, showing the correct partition (C:smile: and System Name (Microsoft Windows etc) but the Next butto it never gets enabled as the process does never completes... As you guys said, it seems a severe hardware error with the HDD instead of a corrupt boot information.

I'll try to progress with yout indications, but since this is a brand-new laptop, I'll bring back it to the store and have a refund or replacement or have it sent to Technical Dept....

Thanks all!

Addendum:

More....

I followed instructions in http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Windows+Bootloader+from+the+DVD (Option 2 first, and then 3) and now I get error saying Winloader.exec can't be loaded, Error 0XC000000F.

EasyBCD stilll gets stuck when attempting automatic repair or in the Automatic Recovey Options dialog...

:frowning:

Addendum:

BW, I also removed the HD and cleaned the contacts. It's a new laptop, but still i did it. No results either....

Last edited:
I would consider just doing a factory restore on the system. As we have stated it sounds like the drive has corrupted the install. Nothing you do to try and fix the boot will work and only cause more complications. Cleaning the hard drive contacts wont do anything either. It is an internal hard drive issue. You already backed up your data, restoring it to factory settings cant hurt at this point.

Back