Thread: Problem removing boot menu (Win7 64bit & Ubuntu 12.04)

Default Problem removing boot menu (Win7 64bit & Ubuntu 12.04)

Hello everyone!
    I first used easyBCD when I installed ubuntu 10.10 with Win7 64bit. After each of my next 2 ubuntu updates, I had problem booting my pc (boot menu did not show and it booted without asking to ubuntu). I got pass this issue by fixing the mbr following these steps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392.
    Unfortunately, this did not work when I upgraded yesterday to ubuntu 12.04. So, I decided to keep ubuntu's grub menu.
    My problem is when I choose win7 in grub, I get again easyBCD's boot menu which asks me again to choose between the 2 OS's.
    Is there a way to get rid of the second boot menu?

Remove the Ubuntu option from the BCD.
    A menu is only presented if a choice exists.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Thanks for your reply Terry, but it didn't work.
    My detailed settings are

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale el-GR
    inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
    default {3b77af31-922a-11e1-8aab-002421102c27}
    resumeobject {9838c102-929d-11df-94a9-ee4bd09bdf84}
    displayorder {3b77af31-922a-11e1-8aab-002421102c27}
    toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
    timeout 10
    displaybootmenu No

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {3b77af31-922a-11e1-8aab-002421102c27}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Microsoft Windows 7
    locale el-GR
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    nx OptIn
    pae Default
    sos No
    debug No

I removed Ubuntu from the "Edit Boot Menu" and I clicked "Write MBR" in "BCD Deployment".
    The boot menu was not removed. It had Windows and Ubuntu as options.

You said you were keeping the grub menu.
    Using "install Vista/7 boot loader > write MBR" puts the W7 loader back in charge.
    "edit boot menu" is all you need to edit the boot menu.
    Which version of EasyBCD are you using - what if anything is ticked in the Tools > Options page ?
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Makes sence...
    I'm using EasyBCD's version 2.1.2.156.
    My options window has the following ticked

Options.GIF

Must be the default ones. I don't remember changing them.

OK that version has a bug in the display.
    The wrong box got ticked.
    Get the very latest Beta and you'll see the tick will move from "...expert mode" to "Auto.. load ..."
    which is showing that you're not working on the correct BCD, but a backup stored in your user folder.
    Untick that option and EasyBCD will locate the "live" BCD where you'll find the entry you were trying to remove
    (but do you still want to ? seeing that you've apparently put bootmgr back ahead of grub)
    That "autoload" option gets set if EasyBCD cannot locate the BCD on the "active" partition of the first HDD in the boot sequence and you use the dialogue it uses at startup to navigate to a BCD, or if you use the File > Select BCD option.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    OK that version has a bug in the display.
    The wrong box got ticked.
    Get the very latest Beta and you'll see the tick will move from "...expert mode" to "Auto.. load ..."
    which is showing that you're not working on the correct BCD, but a backup stored in your user folder.
    Downloaded it, but neither options were ticked. I left them that way.

but do you still want to ?
    I tried to give EasyBCD one last try. I followed steps 3 to 7 in the guide http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu, but again it booted directly to ubuntu. I can't understand what I am doing wrong.

Remove the Ubuntu option from the BCD.
    A menu is only presented if a choice exists.
    So, I removed ubuntu and now when I choose Win7 in grub, it takes me directly to windows.

For the past year that I have been using EasyBCD I really liked it. My only problems were after each ubuntu upgrade and now that even bootrec.exe did not work.
    Thank you very much Terry for all your help!

Can you summarize your current position.
    Which boot menu are you using, grub or bootmgr ?
    and which OSs can you access (or not)
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Now I am using grub and I can access both Win7 and Ubuntu. These are the only 2 OSs I have installed.

But you're still seeing the second menu from bootmgr ?
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.