Vista Recovery Disk - Loads ophcrack

MichaelP

Following a 'clean up'????, my Vista is not loading not even safe mode. Installed old version of XP into /winxp which loads ok . Don't have Vista installation disk so have downloaded Vista Recovery Disk, however when boots, the system loads Ophcrack ??? This area of booting files is all new to me, am I doing something wrong? Thanks :wtf:

Where did you get the recovery disk ?
Doesn't sound like it came from here, more like it's trying to data-mine your system.

Oops, my son inadvertently burned recovery files to a cd containing Linux boot files. Ok have now managed to recover Vista - Brilliant! However, Recovery appears to have created a user 'Administrator' (in addition to existing 'Admin') and I can't get access permission to \windows\system32 to replace msoert2.dll for Windows Mail. The new user Administrator doesn't appear at login or under user control -

The easiest way to circumvent Windows permissions and ownership problems, is not to use Windows.
Get yourself a free download of a live Linux distro, burn it to a CD, boot it in "try without changing my PC" mode (not install), and replace/rename/move your Windows files to your heart's content.

Friends,

this is my first time, I have downloaded Windows vista recovery and followed instruction as given, and booted but it took me to linux. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? Please help me out...

thanks,
RK

The new Recovery Environment is Linux based. You use that to fix your Windows install. You didnt follow the instructions to complete the repair process only the boot process.

Back