Can't dual boot with W7 Home Premium.

Technof

Hello I'm trying to do the dual boot with your program but Ican't. First let me say I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and a2nd hard drive from another laptop which is exactly a clone of this one and Idid that with Acronis true image just to backup this drive in case somethinggoes bad and it shows on My Computer as OS(E).
I swap the hard drives inside the laptop to see if it works and It did fine no errorsor anything just like the other one, but when I add the HDD with this program itgive the blue screen telling me "A fatal error occurred 00000x0 and windowwill shutdown" I cannot run the repair Cd because I can't never boot from the OS(E) as is recognize on my laptop.
Question on the Add New Entry, on top it changed the name toMicrosoft Windows 7 then I choose letter E and on the bottom it shows " Portable/ ExternalMedia" then Hard drive, Iso, Win Peetc.
I guess I shouldchoose Disk Image but what type should I check? I did Raw Hard Disk Image is thatok?
On the Edit Boot Menu it show OS(C) Windows 7 and second Os(E) MicrosoftWindows 7. Honestly I don't know how to do this so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you use the "restore disk signature" feature of True Image ?
If so you will have two copies using the same (supposedly) unique disk sig, which will cause chaos if you try booting with both present.

Hello, I meant to said Apricorn true image (EZ GIG III) and put Acronis by mistake. I don't quite understand the same disk signature you are talking but what you are saying is since is an exact copy they have the same disk signature therefore impossible to make it work? Since I have a couple of programs on that drive I want to use and can't install them on my current laptop it will be nice to boot from that drive when I need them. Is there any work around this?
Thanks a million for your help.

I'm not familiar with Apricorn but a quick search suggests that it's an OEM repackage of Acronis, so should have the same features.
Boot each HDD alone and look at the EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode). make a careful note of the UIDs in each entry.
If the two are absolutely identical, that would indicate that you have used the restore sig feature, and confirm why they will only boot in the absence of the other clone.
Try recloning without that feature and then use a W7 repair disc (Control Panel > Backup & restore > create repair disc) to "startup repair" the clone three times.
If they both boot with different sigs, then you should have no problem having both present and adding one to the BCD of the other with EasyBCD.

Hello again I just have one more question because I've been watchinga lot of YouTube videos do I have to go to "Disk Management" and makethat external hard drive active or not and what exactly is that.
How can I make it to boot do I have to copy and paste something?
Thank you

Don't go playing with the active flag if you're not sure what you're doing.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

As you can see, every HDD can have one active partition (and only one).
What determines which one boots is the BIOS boot sequence.
The MBR IPL looks in the partition table for the active flag which tells it which of the partitions (on that HDD) contains the next link in the boot chain (if any are bootable).
Try reading this very helpful tutorial if you're new to dual-booting.
Multibooters, Vista Dual and Multibooting - A Guide to the Multiboot Process

Back