Changing an Old EasyBCD NeoGrub Dual boot system

run

Back in 2009 I used EasyBCD to set up a dual boot Win7/Linux Mint7 system and it's worked great.
In fact if Mint7 repository support hadn't ended I probably wouldn't even be considering upgrading the Mint install.
But here we are.

Mint7 is installed on the 2nd Harddrive and back in 2009 I followed the instructions provided by the NeoSmart docs/forum.
Which if I recall correctly, called for using the Advanced settings during the Mint install to place the MBR in a non-standard place,
and then using EasyBCD (Beta 2.0.0.63) to setup NeoGrub to get everything working.

Now, after reading the instructions found here: Ubuntu - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki and downloading the newest version
of EasyBCD(2.1.2), I'm almost ready to try replacing my Mint7 install with Mint13, but I would like to verify if these are the instructions
I should be using, given my situation. (Win7 installed on disk 0, Linux on disk 1. NeoGrub used).

Or is there a different step-by-step I should be looking at?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Your join date attests to the truth of your claims - it's always good to hear from people that have been using EasyBCD for years.

What's your current NeoGrub config look like?

Here you go.

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

timeout 0
default 0

title /boot/grub/menu.lst
fallback 1
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title /grub/menu.lst
fallback 2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

title /boot/grub.conf
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub.conf
configfile /boot/grub.conf

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

Yeah, that kind of configuration won't work for the latest Mint, as it's based off of GRUB2 and not Grub (Legacy).

Assuming you install GRUB2 to the bootsector of the Mint partition on the second drive, it should be as easy as rebooting (which will go straight to Windows), running EasyBCD | Add Entry | Linux | GRUB2.

Assuming you install GRUB2 to the bootsector of the Mint partition on the second drive

I'm assuming that would be the default location where the installer would place it, correct?

(Since per step Five of the linked instructions "When you reach page 7 of the installation wizard do not press the
advanced button and make changes. There is a bug in Ubuntu 10.04 that does not allow you to manually install GRUB
to another partition.")

-Jeff

Those docs are a little old, and Linux Mint setup differs slightly from Ubuntus.

Just make sure GRUB2 is installed to the bootsector and not the MBR.

OK, thanks Mahmoud.

I might not get the chance to do the install until tomorrow,
but I'll let you know how it goes.

-Jeff

Here you go.

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

timeout 0
default 0

title /boot/grub/menu.lst
fallback 1
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title /grub/menu.lst
fallback 2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

title /boot/grub.conf
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub.conf
configfile /boot/grub.conf

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

Hi Jeff,

Your join date attests to the truth of your claims - it's always good to hear from people that have been using EasyBCD for years.

What's your current NeoGrub config look like?

Those docs are a little old, and Linux Mint setup differs slightly from Ubuntus.

Just make sure GRUB2 is installed to the bootsector and not the MBR.

Hi, (sorry for poor English) I like easyBCD the way it is...but now I have one problem with me dual system be
cause I deleted something in the bootloader file with easyBCD boot menu configuration, this is quite a stupid mistake, there are two options before, I just delete one of them and now I can not login my win 7 system because of booting configuration error, but luckly, I can now use ubuntu system. I don't want to reinstall the system again, so i was wondering if you guys have any solution for this? can I recover my boot loader file and boot my win7 again by doing something under ubuntu?

ps:
I can see os options for all these two system, but under win7, i can see only neogrub and it return with an error saying:
NST/NeoGrub.mbr
0xc000000f
application error

then NeoGrub bootloader as one single option(previously one more option for win7).

Thanks.

Back