2 Boot Screens? Windows 8, added Ubuntu, used EasyBCD...now have 2 boot screens!

bondbeau

I used the tutorial here Installing Ubuntu on a Pre-Installed Windows 8 (64-bit) System (UEFI Supported) - Ask Ubuntu to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for dual-boot on my Windows 8.1 UEFI machine (8 was factory installed first).

It worked, but the result was a Linux boot screen (says it's version 1.99) with a list of about 10 boot options, so I thought I would like to simplify and just get two options (either Linux or Windows) by using Easy BCD.

After doing the steps for Easy BCD as shown in the guide, I now have TWO successive boot screens.

Upon startup I see:

First: The Linux bootloader (offering all those options as mentioned previously).

Second: If I choose Windows 8 UEFI from the Linux boot loader, then Windows shows me "ANOTHER" choice to select either Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Windows 8.1.

Will someone please tell me how I can get rid of one of the sets of options for which OS to boot?

I would "prefer" to have the Windows bootloader offer just Ubuntu or Windows, like I was trying to accomplish (seeing nothing else to do with Ubuntu unless I choose that OS).

But if that's not possible for some reason, at least get me back to where I was before using EasyBCD...with the Linux bootloader?

Thanks so very much...

ok : the most important thing is that you are able to load the two O.S perfectly without trouble and the dual-boot be nice done : so you have succeeded your install , great job ( I am speaking about Intel not amd 64 ).

Now, your wish is to obtain only two choices on one screen ; so your install is a little confused : or you let the things like that (manage it ! ) or you decide a better clean install.

After doing the steps for Easy BCD as shown in the guide, I now have TWO successive boot screens.

Upon startup I see:

First: The Linux bootloader (offering all those options as mentioned previously).

Second: If I choose Windows 8 UEFI from the Linux boot loader, then Windows shows me "ANOTHER" choice to select either Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Windows 8.1.

First ? no, if your install is clean you must have only a metro choice between two O.S using Easy-bcd. (10 options ? i do not understand , sorry , where are the pictures of yours screen-boot ? so it is without easybcd ? a black screen with options boot and memory and safe mode boot wrinting in white ? ... normal ... ) -

Without reading your post or problem, a clean install of dual-boot Window 8 / ubuntu 12.04 LTS is done without problem in two manners/ways :
A - your DVD_ubuntu instal your linux system side by side and it is finished.
Or
B - you decide adding a BOOT-EFI (200/250 Mo) with Gparted, then you install ubuntu : it is recommended from ubuntu-team or/and linux-team (add a partition-boot from dvdubuntu then restart then install ubuntu ...).

The only problem that you can encounter is the choice of ubuntu-dvd (64 or 32 bits / uefi or not ).

Do not , please , manipulate easybcd without to know that you are doing : it could damage your windows-boot ( a restauration-point is working fine if you have done it before your install ) but with ubuntu, it is really easy and very safe so no problem occurs usually.

Like your choice is to " manipulate " easybcd managing in a better way your boot options ; i prefer that someone else give you a better answer - sorry - .

Ps : you can play with time/second for an automatic boot ; and you can choose in the entries of easybcd (Windows 8 UEFI from the Linux boot loader as FIRST CHOICE BOOT) ; it could solve your problem maybe.

- 10 options ? -
i really do not understand - maybe have you done two successful installs in the same time , with two valuables options : with and without uefi ?

Microsoft will not let you boot a "foreign" OS on a pre-installed W8.1 UEFI system, so you must install Linux in a way that allows Linux to take control of the boot.
That you appear to have done.
Now you have Grub2 controlling your boot, doing things with EasyBCD has no practical effect. It just manipulates the contents of the BCD, and that's no longer in prime control of the boot.
That's why a second boot menu has appeared, because you altered the BCD to add a system.
Go back into EasyBCD "Edit boot menu" and delete the Linux entry you created.
With no options, W8 should no longer present a boot menu.
If you want to tidy up the "real" boot menu you must do it from Linux by modifying the grub.cfg (but not directly)
See
Grub 2 Basics
for advice on how to make persistent modifications to grub via the user custom file (sections 2 and 5)

Back