BCD on recovery partition

Hi guys -really hope you can help on this one.

I have a HP 6735s laptop - being HP, it comes with a recovery partition (press Esc for menu, then F11 for recovery).

I recently wiped the whole hdd (backed up the recovery partition first) - then re-created the partitions (1 C:\ drive with 223Gb (no label)(NTFS) - 1 D:\ Drive (named HP_RECOVERY) with 9GB(NTFS) and 1 E:\ drive with 1Gb (named HP_TOOLS)(FAT32).

I then installed XP (had to change SATA mode in BIOS) - this worked fine for a while, but kept on freezing - it seems the drivers cause issues in XP. So i decided to revert back to Vista - easy option would be to use recovery (F11).

I press F11 but an error comes on screen - something like "Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" - i downloaded EasyBCD to repair this - but it doesnt see anything within the BCD file? It says invalid entries or none found?? -

Basically HP boot into a WinPE environment, then it opens HP's own Recovery Environment.

Since i re-partitioned the drive, it seems the GUID in the BCD cannot find the correct drive to use the HP recovery - No files have been deleted or altered.

Any advice pls?

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi jcoxy, welcome to NST

Playing around with the mbr or changing the disk structure (even if you kept a copy of the recovery partition) on some models will make it permantly impossible to use the recovery option. You will need to use a recovery disk set if HP provided you with one instead or contact them and probably purchase a set for a fee. Otherwise, all you can do is re-install with the installation media.