bcdedit can't open store

awayand

Hi,
I am using windows 7 x64 home premium (german) with easybcd 2.0.2. When I launch easybcdas administrator, I get the following error:

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
Das angeforderte Systemger"t kann nicht gefunden werden.
Would you like to manually load a BCD registry for EasyBCD to manage?"

So I tried from the command line, started "cmd" as administrator, then typed "bcdedit", which gives me the following error:

"Der Speicher für die Startkonfigurationsdaten konnte nicht geöffnet werden.
Das angeforderte Systemgerät kann nicht gefunden werden."

This translates to: "the store for the start config data couldn't be opened. The requested system device couldn't be found."

I can, however, assign a drive letter to the active 100mb partition and load the store manually from it, edit it, and boot with the applied changes without any problems.

So here's my question: How do I find out where exactly Windows is looking for the system store when I type "bcdedit"? Is that determined by a registry entry, or by the type of the partition containing the store? I would like to fix this so that I can use bcdedit normally.

Thanks!

bcdedit or EasyBCD ?
I guess they both make the same assumption, but I can't speak for MS.
EasyBCD assumes that the BCD will be on the "active" partition of the 1st HDD in the BIOS boot sequence.
If it isn't, (mine isn't) it prompts you for the location.
The navigation to it uses a standard Explorer dialogue box, which therefore needs the partition to have a letter.
(If the unlettered partition is "active", EasyBCD (and presumably bcdedit) will find it anyway)

Last edited:
Thanks! I also noticed that when I go to "my computer" properties, extended properties and then then try to edit the settings in the startup/restore section of the properties window, I cannot select anything as far as the startup menu goes, it is just empty, and when I try to set the timeout options for displaying the boot menu, then these changes are not saved, either. Since the system boots fine I am assuming it's an issue with windows and wanted to find out how to find out where windows is looking for the BCD. If the error message said something like: "cannot find system device HD1:5" or something to that effect, then I would have a pointer as to how to fix this. I ended up finding a solution, by booting into the "repair computer" mode, and selecting "fix startup errors". Now everything is back to normal. Thanks again for your help!

Back