\Boot\BCD Error

banana_babe0217

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Computer: Toshiba Satellite A215-S7472
When I started the computer, this came up on a black screen:
Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”
3. Click “Repair your computer.”
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configurations data.
Enter= Continue ESC=Exit

Things I have tried:
I tried restarting, the same screen comes up. Pushing either enter or esc does the same thing. I tried pressing F1, F8, and F11 during reboot, the screen still comes up. Since I do not have a Windows installation disc, I downloaded the Vista recovery disc from http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/. I burned this to a CD, and tried using it. I know the CD works because I tried it on a different computer, and it was able to boot from the CD. However, when I tried using the CD on the messed up computer, it does not do anything differently, the screen that says “Press any key to boot from CD/DVD” does not come up, and the error screen takes over again. Please help me, I’ve been at this for over two and a half hours now!

Hi babe, welcome to NST.
Look on the BIOS spash screen (first thing you see after you power-on).
Somewhere on it will be an instruction like "press del to enter setup" (on my ASUS mobo).
Use whatever key is appropriate for your mobo chipset and once in the BIOS setup utility navigate to the "Boot" section.
Make sure that the BIOS is set to boot CD/DVD before HDD, then try the recovery disk again.

Back