"Cannot find ANG0 in all drives" when installing Windows 7 with an ISO file

caxtin

Window 10 Pro (64Bit) [Current]
EasyBCD 2.4.0.237

Hello, I need your help in solving my issue of "Cannot fine ANG0 in all drives" when installing Windows 7 with an ISO file.
I enabled system and hidden files to be visible. However, I could not fine the ANGX files; where are they?

1. From your post, would I have to assign drive letters to the system partitions (A, B, & C)?
2. I changed my system setting to see all system file and show hidden files, and did a search.
3. Where are the "angx" files you copied ?When I see the ANGX files, would have to copy all the ANGX files to the above three system folders?

Thanks you and stay safe enough!

Attachments

• Newsmart01.jpg
    Newsmart01.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Neosmart02.jpg
    Neosmart02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
ANG = Auto NeoGrub.
They're files created by EasyBCD to contain the chaining information for a Linux system booted with Grub.
Booting W7 from W10's BCD is done directly by bootmgr.
There's no use of Neogrub and no chaining necessary.
Just "add entry" using the Windows7/8/10 dropdown and drive "E"and a pointer to W7's bootloader will be created directly in the BCD.

ANG = Auto NeoGrub.
They're files created by EasyBCD to contain the chaining information for a Linux system booted with Grub.
Booting W7 from W10's BCD is done directly by bootmgr.
There's no use of Neogrub and no chaining necessary.
Just "add entry" using the Windows7/8/10 dropdown and drive "E"and a pointer to W7's bootloader will be created directly in the BCD.
Thanks you for your reply; I really appreciate it.
The attached video is what I did; what did I miss?
View attachment EasyBCDSetup.mp4

The two sections of that "add" screen are separate.
They each have a "+" button.
The top half is for booting an OS installed on your PC drives
The bottom half is for creating a portable repair facility on a USB drive, hence "Portable/External"
You need to create a bootable DVD or USB drive from that ISO, then boot that drive and install W7 into the space on your SSD
After that you can use the top half of "add entry" to create a BCD entry for the new OS.

You will also have a problem in that MS architecture is predicated on the assumption that you will be installing a newer Windows alongside an older version, not the other way round. An older version of Windows bootmgr cannot load winload.exe from a newer version. It will fail with "invalid digital signature"

Installing a newer Windows will overwrite the bootmgr of the older version to avoid the above failure, so installing Windows in the "wrong" order will cause the W10 bootmgr to be regressed to W7 level, which will boot W7 but fail to boot W10 as detailed above.

After installing W7, you'll need to "repair" the boot to W10 level again, and then use EasyBCD to add the entry for W7.

You can repair thus

If you don't have a W10 installation DVD, create a repair disk before you start (Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create Repair Disc)

Thank you for all the very important technical information.

Your answer kinda reminds me of how I got my Windows 10 with 7 to work a few years back.
Then and now, I always have backup images of my systems. I can't remember what I did exactly,
but I thing what I did were:

1. Imaged Windows 10
2. Formatted the whole drive
3. Installed Windows 7
4. Installed EasyBCD
5. Partitioned the drive with a new partition for Windows 10
6. Installed fresh Windows 10 to the new partition
7. Made sure the dual-boot is functional
8. Restore the Windows 10 images

I think those ware my steps, really long process.

On a side note, I need more education on computer technology.

9. What happens when a drive in partitioned with Windows 7 in the first partition
and Windows 10 in the second partition? Just curious.

Thank you.

The physical position of the OS on the drive was mandatory for DOS through to Windows ME. They were all OSs with no capability of dual booting. The boot information in the MBR loaded the next code from a fixed location on the HDD (or floppy in the really early days). The installation had to make sure the OS occupied that exact position.
From XP onwards the code in the MBR referenced the "active" flag (a bit set on one of the entries in the MBR partition table) to locate the position of the the next part of the boot chain. Only the boot files needed to be there. The main OS didn't even have to be on an MBR primary partition.
In UEFI the concept of an MBR, partition table and active flag are all gone. UEFI knows that the boot files are in the EFI System Partition. They'll load the OSs from the location information in the BCD.

So the short answer is, "It's irrelevant where the OS is located"

If you want the nitty-gritty

So the short answer is, "It's irrelevant where the OS is located"

If you want the nitty-gritty
I do not know this. Guess I have a lot to learn in computer architecture (technology).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked my BIOS and here is what it is set to. RAID is one technology I have never dealt with and not familiar with it.
My other computers are set to (I think) AHCI.
Thanks
BIOSHomePC.jpg

If you don't have a W10 installation DVD, create a repair disk before you start (Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create Repair Disc)
With all the computers I have at home, and since Windows 10 came out, I must have had at least ten or more times I need to repair an OS with a Repair Disk. It NEVER worked for me; I don't know why. Every instance says something like ". . . unable to repair" the system. I had always done it the long way by formatting the whole drive and re-imaging from my backup, which does not always worked.

Maybe you were not patient enough.
The boot-repair cycle only fixes one thing at a time.
Generally you need to do the whole thing three times for a fully restored boot process.
It's always worked for me (not that I've needed it often)

Maybe you were not patient enough.
The boot-repair cycle only fixes one thing at a time.
Generally you need to do the whole thing three times for a fully restored boot process.
It's always worked for me (not that I've needed it often)
I think I am a patient person.
Wish I can find the screen shots I took in the past. It seem to say like ". . . unable to repair. . . " or ". . . could not repair . . " I think it's the latter.
One can't go any further than that. I never had issues with Windows 7 Repair Disks.

Back