Can't boot from cd

bangorme

I use EasyBCD to dual boot Win 7 and Fedora OS'S. The problem I'm having is that I want to do a fresh install of the newest version of Fedora, so have to boot from the installation cd. Even though I've gone into the BIOS and give the cd ROM drive as the only bootable disc, it insists upon going through EasyBCD, and won't boot off the cd. Any ideas?

It's not going through EasyBCD.
EasyBCD is not the boot manager, it just helps you manage the Windows Vista/7/8 bootmgr Boot Configuration Data file.
If you're booting from the HDD and not the CD, then you didn't successfully change the boot sequence (or your CD-ROM is broken).
In the Phoenix BIOS on my ASUS (and many other OEMs) there are multiple places that affect the boot sequence.
At the top level, there's the Boot Device Priority, and that's where you need to go to set CD before HDD.
There are other lower level menus where you specify the order of devices within each device type, like which HDD comes first amongst all the other HDDs, and which optical drive has priority amongst all your CD/DVD Burner/Player devices, but those are not what you need to change.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. However, I am trying to simply to boot Vista. The boot device selected is the CD-ROM drive. When booting the affected system using the disk, the disk is not recognised. As a check, I tried the disk on a machine with a functioning Vista OS (changed the boot device to CD-ROM through F12) and the disk was bypassed as well. I made a second copy of the disk to be sure there was no corruption, ran both systems again and got the same results.

@max
Is this a retail Vista DVD you're talking about, or the Neosmart repair CD ?
If it's the latter then you probably are not burning the CD properly.
The download is an ISO file (whether it appears so on your system or not), and it must be burned intact and unprocessed in any way directly to a CD using a burner capable of burning ISO files.
Vista's native burner cannot do this.
W7 can, but if you only have Vista, then you can use Imgburn, which is free and works for ISOs.

Back