Can't repartition Vista laptop

I'm new to using Vista and Ubuntu and would like to have a dual-booting laptop. The laptop I have has Vista Home Basic loaded. I tried to follow the Ubuntu tutorial on this website to make it dual-boot, but ran into a problem when it called for creating/resizing the partitions. There was no option in the Ubuntu manual repartitioning tool to resize existing partitions. Vista has used all the available harddrive space, so I can't create a new partition without destroying the existing ones. If I do this, then I will have to reload Vista. Is there a way to resize and not have to start from scratch?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi DWG, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Of course - grab yourself a free copy of GParted live CD and use it to resize the Vista partition and set up your hard drive just the way you want it :smile:
GParted -- LiveCD

Can't boot Linux partition

Gparted worked great! I continued through the tutorial to install Ubuntu. The installation gets to the very end where it is installing Grub. I changed the location to (hd0,4) where the Linux partition is. I receive a fatal error saying it can't install Grub at that location. I reviewed some more postings on your site and found a similar problem. So I also tried (hd0,3). Same fatal error. I rebooted anyway and I can see the Linux partition in BCD. So I created an entry and tried to reboot to it. The chooser menu comes up, but when I select the Linux boot option, I get a screen saying it can't find it. Not sure where to go from here. Please help with suggestions for fix actions.

Thanks!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
In EasyBCD did you choose (hd0,3) or (hd0,4)?

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
I think there is a problem with the Instructions Guru. Not by you but i think a bug in Ubuntu.

Cause i can confirm changing the GRUB install path to anything but hte default (hd0) causes this Fatal Error. Which is why i dont use EasyBCD for dual boot with Ubuntu. I just use the GRUB menu.

Is there anyway we can confirm if this is a Ubuntu bug or some other issue that many of us members ahve come across.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I'm starting to think so too....
I installed it in a VM and didn't have any problems - but that doesn't mean much given how controlled the circumstances were.

I'm going to change the instructions to take advantage of EasyBCD's GRUBless Linux option until this gets sorted out.