Dual boot Vista/Win98

Finn

I've a system with 2 HDD. Vista on partition C disk 0. Second disk(1) prepared with primary partition and FAT32. I need to install Win98 to run some older programs. As I see it, by installing Win98 I risk loosing admission to Vista and consequently to EasyBCD to set the Vista booting prosess right. What else is there to do? :blank:
All the best
Finn

Hi Finn,

I would highly advise against installing Windows 98, especially if you have an internet connection (98 is no longer updated). The ideal solution would be to install 98 in a VMware or VPC (both are free).

If you really want to, it can still be done.
Install Windows 98, install .NET 2.0 on 98, run EasyBCD -> Bootloader Managemnt -> Reinstall Vista Bootloader
Then copy these files http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/attachments/196612/Boot+Files.zip to c:\ (unzipped of course) and create a boot.ini that'll get you into Windows 98.

EasyBCD 1.61 will simplify this process considerably :smile:

Computer Guru said:
Hi Finn,

I would highly advise against installing Windows 98, especially if you have an internet connection (98 is no longer updated). The ideal solution would be to install 98 in a VMware or VPC (both are free).

If you really want to, it can still be done.
Install Windows 98, install .NET 2.0 on 98, run EasyBCD -> Bootloader Managemnt -> Reinstall Vista Bootloader
Then copy these files http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/attachments/196612/Boot+Files.zip to c:\ (unzipped of course) and create a boot.ini that'll get you into Windows 98.

EasyBCD 1.61 will simplify this process considerably :smile:
Thank you so much (a little overdue - spring and summer i Norway is not the time to spend in front of a flat screen!!)
I'm old enough to take a good and well founded advice when I get it! But to use VPC I understand that I will have to upgrade my Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultima.
Again; Thank you
All the best
Finn :smile:

Dear Computer Guru,
I had it from Master Microsoft! When trying to install VPC I read; quote:"You are not running on a supported operating system. Please see Microsoft Virtual PC help for the list of supported host operating systems" (- where I did not find Vista Home Premium). Ignoring (your objection taken into account) I installed, and Virtual PC seems to operate flawlessly on my Vista Premium.
Thanks!
Finn :grinning:

You're mighty welcome, Finn.

Glad to hear you got it to work.. "Master Microsoft" seems to make more and more of these stupid little mistakes nowadays... unfortunately these mistakes have a tendency to accumulate and wreak serious havoc.

Anyway, I personally use and recommend VMware Workstation and it's free little brother VMware Server instead of VPC and co, the performance of the Guest OS is much better. But with something as light as Windows 98, I doubt VPC can give you much trouoble.

Good luck, and pop in from time to time, we'd love to see you stay :smile:

Back