Dual-boot w/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Can't Find Kernel)

Jay_R

Background:

1. Shrunk volume on C: (Windows 7 Pro) to allow for installation of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
2. Selected option to install Ubuntu side-by-side with Windows 7 as well as installation of third-party software.
3. Installed BCD and added new entry for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and GRUB2 for Type.
4. When I reboot, I receive the Windows Boot Manager menu, select Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, it fails to find the kernel, and drops me into GRUB4DOS.

I have noticed that it's searching for the kernel on (hd0,0), which is the Windows partition. For some reason I can't get it to search the right partition for the kernel. I've even explicitly changed the settings in EasyBCD to search the /boot partition, which is third partition for me, and it still doesn't work. Searched the forum and the Oracle (Google) and so far no fixes have worked.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
Here's hoping someone will return the 'karma' -- on my question about menu.lst! :smile:

Repeat using GRUB1, and see what happens.

This may have been fixed, but some time ago there was advice that, under certain circumstances -- why, I have no idea -- some had success doing this, even though technically your first choice was correct.

Last edited:
Back