EasyBCD Claims EFI mode (In Legacy/UEFI Mode)

raiannon

So, tldr, I'm trying to fix problems with my boot using EasyBCD, but when I run it from Windows, it says I'm in EFI mode. However, I'm running in Legacy + UEFI mode, with Secure Boot Disabled.

My Setup:
500gb SSD with Windows 10
1 TB HD partitioned into
- 500gb backup drive D
- 500gb LV Debian

I installed a few versions of Linux before deciding on Debian and repartitioning to take the 500gb to use with Windows, and so I have Grub installed alongside the Windows MBR. The problem is, it points to Linux versions that no longer exist. If I choose my boot device on startup and point to the 500 GB Linux partition, Debian boots beautifully. If I choose my boot device on startup and point to the Windows option on the SSD, Windows boots beautifully. But I'm getting tired of having to do hit F11 every time I need to restart, so I thought EasyBCD would be easier than the other options. I mean, Easy's in the name, right?

I boot up EasyBCD in Windows and it says I'm in EFI mode. Yet here's my BIOS:
WP_20161002_21_33_40_Rich_zpsplcnjums.jpg~original

MSI has two options for Secure Boot Disabled, so I tried them both:
WP_20161002_21_35_01_Rich_zpssbhp29df.jpg~original

WP_20161002_21_35_16_Rich_zps5zehypb7.jpg~original

With the Legacy/UEFI mode chosen, and with either settings under Windows Config, EasyBCD comes up as EFI mode. And while it's in EFI mode, I can't install a new GRUB loader, or even see the other boot modes. I tried reinstalling the Vista+ boot loader from within EasyBCD, no help.

BTW, here's my screwy boot options. I choose Windows Boot Manager to get into Windows, and SATA4 to get into Linux. All other SanDisk options lead to grub rescue, and I was trying to avoid that.
WP_20161002_21_33_24_Rich_zpsjzl8lkt7.jpg~original

I guess I'll be fixing it the old fashioned way, but I was curious why EasyBCD isn't recognizing that I'm in Legacy mode.

Your BIOS may support legacy, but it has elected to boot into Windows in EFI mode. EasyBCD can't talk to the BIOS directly, and it doesn't really matter if it could - the EFI vs Legacy selection happens _before_ the boot manager is loaded (there's an EFI and an MBR version of the Windows boot manager) and this is what EasyBCD modifies to load your ISO. You are using the EFI version of the Windows boot manager and there's not much that EasyBCD can do about that.

Back