EasyBCD just doesn't run !

Sorry if this has been covered before (I have searched all entries for this year and, apart from one on 13th January, which received no replies) I can find nothing.

I successfully downloaded EasyBCD and installed it without problems. No errors, icon created etc.

However, if I double-click the icon on the desktop, nothing happens! Having tried several times, I checked in the Task Manager what was happening. Apart from two new entries appearing in the Processes list, both called COM Surrogate for about two seconds, that's it! Nothing!

Running just a standard installation of Windows 8. Probably something obvious - but not to me! :frowning:

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going
Staff member
I'm assuming you intend to multi-boot with another OS otherwise there's no point in using it.

Have you enabled the .NET 2.0 Framework in "Turn Windows Features On and Off"? (You'll see it listed as .net 3.5 which includes it)

See this tutorial: Windows Features - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It should work with 4.5 as well...

Yes, I am intending to load Zorin as an alternate OS.

Yes, .Net 3.5 is active and enabled - but still nothing happens when I double-click the icon! :frowning:

Ex_Brit

Staff member
CG, my memory is hazy, should the .exe be configured to run as Administrator in Win 8?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Check taskmanager for any of the following

bootgrabber, bcdedit, easybcd

Addendum

Peter: Nope. Everything literally should "just work."

Ex_Brit

Staff member
That's what I thought, thanks. I have mine installed in Vista so wasn't sure.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
No problem.

Phil, if none of those are in the task manager, check the Windows Error Viewer