EasyBCD with Windows 7 and Windows 10 not working

Cool_Man

Hello,
I have installed Windows 7 on a SSD disk under MBR and on a second HDD I have installed Windows 10 under GPT.
Trying to boot into one of the OS under EasyBCD is dependent of the boot sequence defined in UEFI.
- If boot sequence in UEFI is CD -> SSD (MBR) -> UEFI GPT disk then I can boot only into Windows 7
- If boot sequence in UEFI is CD -> UEFI GPT disk -> SSD (MBR) then I can only boot into Windows 10
Because I am a Newbie working with EasyBCD so I need some additional help/information:
1. Do I have to use EasyBCD or EasyUEFI for my configuration?
2. Where do I have to install EasyBCD/EasyUEFI: Under Windows 7, Windows 10 or under both OS?
3. In one of the posts here I found the information, that the automatic repair with the EasyRE CD will correct
this issue. If I decide to purchase EasyRE, for which OS I have to order it: Windows 7 or Windows 10?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards
Manfred

You can't boot an MBR system from a UEFI system, hence no W7 from W10.
You can't boot a newer Windows from an older (regardless of MBR/UEFI) because the old bootmgr doesn't recognize the digital signature of the newer Winload.
There is no "EasyUEFI" (or if there is, it's nothing to do with EasyBCD)
The only solution for this catch 22 conundrum would be to upgrade the bootmgr on W7 by dragging a copy of the newer (larger) W10 version across to replace it, and then booting GPT/W10 from the MBR/W7 BCD using the copied W10 bootmgr.

Thanks for your answer.
By the way, can your program EasyRE perform your suggested action? If YES, which version I have to use: The one for Windows 7 or for Windows 10?
Thanks
Manfred

No,afaik EasyRE will fix a broken boot on whatever version of Windows by replacing (if required) the bootmgr with the correct version for the OS.
If you'd installed 10 with 7 visible (using the same MBR/GPT), then W10 would have automatically taken over W7's boot and upgraded the bootmgr.
You'll need to do it manually, but it's only a simple drag & drop (rename the old one first so it's still there as a backup should you ever want to revert to vanilla W7)

Back