Error after installing Ubuntu

chrisuk76

Already had Vista/XP dual boot setup (Vista installed first), using EasyBCD.

I then installed Ubuntu and that put Grub in charge of the boot, so I then went into Vista and into EasyBCD and re-installed the boot loader which gave me back my EasyBCD boot options. I then added Linux to the boot list in EasyBCD.

Upon rebooting, Vista booted and worked fine, when I selected Linux it took me to the Grub boot loader and I selected Linux from there (is this correct?), it booted into Ubuntu.

I then tried Win XP and this is were my problems are, the first error message I got was "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:- <windows root>\system32\hal.dll, please re-install a copy of this file".

I then tried messing around in EasyBCD (can't remember what I changed as I tried several things) and now I have a similar message but this time "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:- <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe".

Is there a way I can repair this or am I going to have to wipe the slate clean and do re-installs?

Thanks

Use EasyBCD 2.0 latest build
Delete the XP entry. Add it again. Let EasyBCD auto-configure. Don't change the drive assigned.
In the Linux menu set timeout (0) and you'll take the default boot without seeing the Linux menu.

Yeah, I should have said that I already have that version and tried that process and it doesn't seem to have helped.

Think I am gonna do a re-install anyway.

Are you using Ubuntu 9.10 ?
Did you remember to select grub2 from the dropdown?
Please post DM and "dispay settings" as detailed at the end of the sticky thread.

Thanks, but I have already decided to do a complete re-install.

The thing I am confused about now is in what order to install?

I am wanting win 7/xp/ubuntu and mac osx on multi.

Cheers

Back