Error Opening BCD Registry

Hi, I've just installed easyBCD and ran it for the 1st time and got the follinwg message.

Error Opening BCD Registry
The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Would you like to manually load a BCD registry from EasyBCD to manage?
Please note that Easy BCD requires the Windows Vista/7 bootloader, and will not work in XP0only environments.

I'm currently dual booting Win10 Pro and Kubuntu which I set up about a year ago. Recently I noticed my Windows Updates were failing and I posted on the Windows Community and while the moderator was talking about win RE bein messed up I noticed the logs were talking about about BCD ... which led me to easyCBD.

So I'm wondering if I've goofed the setup of the Dual Boot somehow. I do remeber altering the BIOS but it's been some time and I'm worried I'll dig myself deeper.

I've got the 2 OS's installed on separate SSD's. Subsequent dual booting I had some troubles with GRUB2 but I got that all cleaned up. Currently when I boot there's 3 options on the GRUB@ menu
1) Ubuntu (aka Kubuntu)
2) Ubuntu (advanced)
3) Win10 (on /dev/sda1)

I've attached pics of my BIOS/UEFI config.

Thoughts?

PS: I also noticed that then I boot to linux and back to Win10 the time setting always gets reset. Not sure of thats related but its not a biggy for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_091445.jpg
    IMG_20200827_091445.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200827_091549.jpg
    IMG_20200827_091549.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200828_175958.jpg
    IMG_20200828_175958.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200828_180006.jpg
    IMG_20200828_180006.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200828_180022.jpg
    IMG_20200828_180022.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Dual booting Windows 10 on a UEFI PC with anything other than Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is not permitted by the Windows efi version of Bootmgr
read EasyBCD and UEFI for details.
The fact that you're dual-booting Linux with W10 indicates that you've already come to grips with this MS prohibition.
This means that you are dual-booting via Grub not bootmgr.efi, hence why EasyBCD cannot locate the BCD (it defaults to searching the boot partition, as you'd expect).
You might have problems navigating it to the BCD because presumably that's in Windows EFI System Partition which doesn't have a letter you can point EasyBCD to.
I don't think there's anything in the BCD that will help you resolve a failure of WUD anyway.
Microsoft offers free one to one support for any problems caused by WUD, but I don't know how they'd view a W10 PC booting through Grub. I imagine they might start by expecting you to go back to vanilla W10 !

Thanks Terrence. I guess part of my problem is that all this was surmounted 12-18 months ago and never looked at gain because everything seemed to be working OK and so all the grief and learning has ebbed away. In fact it is all working OK with the exception of the feature updates (I'm still on 1903 which goes out of support in December this year - theoretically)

The added complication is the Win10 drive uses MBR and the Linux drive uses GPT and the ASUS motherboard I've got supports hybrid / legacy set up. Also Win10 SSD is a clone of the HDD from my old PC so that's another thing. All these things are slowly coming back to me.

Definately I have a working BCD because I wouln't be able to boot Win10. So the real pain in the sphincter is that the 2004 feature update doesn't go checking for BCD/WinRE until about 37% in to the installation process. Although BCD is implicated its the WinRE that seems to be real hitch.

Your other comment about easyBCD has prempted my question as to whether it can be pointed to a store other that the default system store. (No)

Vis MS one to one WUD support, crickey! How do you get on to that ???? It's worth a shot as it's starting to look like a reformat / clean install - which I'm loathe to do as there's 2-3 apps/programs I've lost the key for but it might be time to let go of that for an easier life. Honestly if it were' for that games I've bought over the years (many only run on Windows) I'd walk away from Windows all togther.

Anyways, thanks for responding and hearing me out.

Cheers
Joe

Back