Expected behaviour or a bug ?

uglyman

I have set up a triple-boot with the following layout
partition1 is windows10 <--- installed with bootloader to c:
partition2 is linux mint <--- installed with grub bootloader to the same partition2
partition3 is kubuntu <--- installed with grub bootloader to the same partition3

Then i installed EasyBCD v2.4 in windows10
Added a Grub2 entry for mint on partition2. Yes, it works. It boots into the windows loader menu, then when i choose it, it goes to the mint grub2 loader
Added another Grub2 entry for kubuntu on partition3. This one does not seem to work. It always goes to the mint menu on partition2

Am i doing something wrong or is it a bug ?

The only way i can get around this is to boot into the first linux partition (mint) and do a "sudo update-grub" so that kubuntu gets found and added to the mint grub loader. I thought this may have something to do with primary versus extended logical partitions, but it happens both ways

I haven't used Linux for a decade or more but as far as I remember, that is normal for multiple Linux distros. The same thing applies to multiple versions of XP with the exception that Neosmart wrote a custom version of NTLDR called EasyLDR which removed the restriction (Windows XP)
Only Longhorn systems (Vista -> W11) can have multiple entries in the BCD
What you are doing is the standard workaround.

Back