Here is another "I cannot boot into Windows Vista" post

willmont

Greetings! I am thankful that I have found this resource, and hope I can be led in the right direction here. My problem is thus:

I have an ACER Aspire AX1200 loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium. I received it as a gift 3 years ago, and promptly ordered the media from ACER. I am using a DELL Latitude D620 with Windows XP for this traffic.

Currently, I am unable to boot to windows in any fashion at all. I have read many posts from others who are having similar difficulties, and have tried many of the suggested solutions to no avail.

During normal boot process, the first place I end up is the Windows Error Recovery screen. Launch Startup Repair is highlighted, and it either starts automatically or you can press enter. The problem is, you just end back at the Error Recovery screen every time...like in a loop.

Next, I select Start Windows Normally, next screen is the Microsoft Corporation screen with the green cursor that passes 2 1/3 times before is stops, then to a blank screen, then return to Error Recovery screen.

Ctrl Alt Delete re-boots, and I press F8 during the start screen for my ACER, and end up at the Advanced Boot Options screen. I scroll down to the Disable Auto Restart on System Failure and select it. Then I get the BSOD with the following technical information:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190444, 0x868A4BD0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000). From here I can only restart the computer with the poser button. I follow the above procedure to get back to the Boot Options menu, and try to boot to Safe Mode, which brings me back to the Error Recovery screen.

I put the system disk in (Having changed boot sequence to CD/DVD first) and reboot. My only option in this is re-installing Windows from factory...losing all data.

It sounds like a boot manager problem, but I couldn't really understand the corrective action for that from other posts.

Suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance!

William

It's not a boot manager problem if you're getting to the animated green bars. That's the kernel trying to load (step 3 below)
once bootmgr calls winload from the BCD (step 2), then you're past any further involvement of the boot manager.

boot entails:
1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

The stop code indicates a problem with the disk file structure
If you have a bootable Vista DVD, you should be able to run chkdsk from the command prompt option, otherwise many bootable
Partition Managers (eg this free one) will allow you to check (and repair) damaged file systems.
Try rebooting after that.

When I start with the Vista System disk in, I never get to a command prompt at all. I have three ACER DVD's, and the first one is a system disk, the other 2 are recovery disks #1 and #2. When I put the system disk in and reboot, It starts loading windows files, then the Microsoft screen with the scrolling green bar, then a white screen that shows "Please wait a moment...."

The next screen is the ACER eRecovery Management and you have to select a UI Language. I select English, hit next, confirm the language, and then to the next screen, where the only two options are Restore System from Factory Default, or Exit.

Since I still have some hope of recovery, I choose Exit

Back