How to recover Win 7 boot partition as secondary boot drive with Win 10 as primary

Geek Squad just installed a new SSD as Win 10 boot drive and made my former Win 7 drive as secondary. They gave me back my machine with former drive as D but disabled Win 7 as bootable. It was useless to argue because they maintained that Microsoft required they disable the Windows 7 on the D drive because I was getting Windows 10. The Windows 7 directory and files are still intact but there's no way to select the D drive as the bootable drive in BIOS. It is unclear to me how I use your software which I have purchased to restore the bootable partition on the D drive. Please advise where I can get this help.

I'll let @Terry60 suggest solutions toi "freeing up" the Win7 partition. Geek Squad failed to tell you that you can upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 for free and a Microsoft MVP Shawn Brink points that out here: Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free
Thanks for this reply. I should have made it clear that I wanted to have the second drive with the possibility of booting back into Win7 because we have one instance of software that needs that environment to run. I could go through the process (painful) to get it reinstalled in Win10 but it would be infinitely easier to simply boot back to Win 7 for the rare (but important) need I have for this software.

Ex_Brit

Volunteer Moderator
Staff member
Ah OK. I think all you have to do is go in as an Admin into Disk Management and mark the Win 7 partition Active. It should also have a drive letter. Then EasyBCD should be able to see the Win 7 partition OK. @Terry60 is our expert so I'll defer to him on this.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
All you should need to do is add an entry to the W10 BCD pointing to W7 on D
Adding Entries
and W10 boot manager should display a boot menu offering you the choice of systems.