I am unable to boot from Win 10 (the second OS on second Drive)

Machu

I started with Win 7 OS

I unplugged the win 7 SSD and added a second SSD on another SATA port and installed win 10 independently.

I tested that to make sure my win 10 boots properly and it did/

I then pluuged in my win 7 SSD and started the PC and it took me to BIOS to select the boot drive which I was able to do.

I then installed EasyBCD within win 7 boot and added the second entry for win 10. when I start with either SSD by itself the C drive is what is shown no matter which SSD I use (win 7 or Win 10). But when I start with both drive, the other OS drive is shown as H: drive.. so this was the second line within EasyBCD

Now when I boot up. It still takes me to BIOS first to select the boot drive and I select the win 7 SSD and now I get a choice of Win 7 or Windows.

If I select win 7 it works, but when I pick win 10, it gives me an error message :

Status: 0xc0000428 Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file.

Windows Boot Manager
A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
If you have a Windows installation disc, insert the disc and restart your computer. Click "Repair your computer," and then choose a recovery tool.
Otherwise, to start windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options, and select last known good. If you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature enforcement.

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second Q. When I remove the second entry in EasyBCD. the one I added. I still goes to BIOS UEFI when I start up and when I get past that, It still goes to the EeasyBCD choice... but this time I only see win 7. I thought it would not give me this option since I had removed the entry in EasyBCD that I added.

Is it ok for me to add the first "default" entry in EasyBCD? Would I be unable to boot at all? Does deleting all the entry in EasyBCD remove the boot sector of my drive?

PS: My EasyBCD is the latest version which I downloaded yesterday

Last edited:
You cannot boot W10 from W7's bootmgr.
You must do it the other way round.
Boot W10 and add an entry for W7 to the W10 BCD and use W10's (bigger) bootmgr to load W7's winload.exe.
Newer versions of bootmgr (from later versions of Windows) are fully backward compatible with the boot loaders from earlier versions of Windows.
Older bootmgrs are not prescient about future versions of Winload, that's why they do not recognize their digital signatures as genuine.

If you have a pressing performance reason to boot from the W7 device (faster SSD v slower HDD e.g.), then you can update W7's bootmgr by replacing it with the one from W10 and that will also solve your problem. (It's also what setup would have done for you if you'd installed W10 with W7 visible as the "active" drive)

Back