Install EasyBCD on both systems?

Is it necessary to install EasyBCD on both the XP and Win7 systems? I currently have it installed on the Win7 partition to boot XP as the default, but I get no boot menu. I have to change the default system on the Win7 partition to select the system I want to boot.

EasyBCD is not a boot manager.
Merely installing it on any system has no effect at all.
It's an app to facilitate the manipulation of Vista/7/8's BCD store.
You don't need multiple copies, though you can put it on any system from which you wish to use it. Normally a single copy on the controlling OS (W7 in your case) is all that's necessary.
What exactly have you done ?
What do you mean by "I have to change the default system on the Win7 partition.." ?
Are you saying that you've used EasyBCD to add an XP entry to the W7 BCD, but that you see no boot menu ?
Do you have "skip the menu" ticked ?

I have the simplest setup: I am running XP from C/ drive, and I installed W7 on I/ drive on another disk. After install of W7 I booted and it went to W7 so I installed EasyBCD then rebooted. It kept going to W7 with no menu, so I used EasyBCD to make XP the default. Now it goes to XP all the time with no menu. I would like to get back to W7 so I can look at boot parameters. Is there any way to boot to W7 so I can look at and maybe fix the boot volume? Do you think re-installing W7 will again boot to W7 all the time?

It sounds like the problem is simply that you haven't changed the BIOS to boot from the W7 HDD in preference to the XP HDD.

I switched the boot order of my two disks, and now I am able to select XP or W7 from the boot menu. However, it's a Windows menu, not an EasyBCD menu. When I select W7 and list the contents of the BCD, it correctly tells me I have 2 entries, XP and W7, with XP the default. Is it easy to replace the Windows menu with an EasyBCD menu? I'm not sure which disk this menu is on, I just know that if I switch the boot order I boot into XP with no menu so cannot boot W7.

There is no EasyBCD menu.
EasyBCD just manipulates the contents of the MS bootmgr's BCD.
bootmgr is 100% responsible for displaying the menu and it's on the W7 HDD so that's where you have to boot from.

If for some good reason you need to boot from the XP HDD, it's possible to relocate the W7 boot files, but I wouldn't advise it unless it's imperative.
Just change the BIOS HDD boot order is the simplest and best solution.

Back