media Test Failure - Hard drive issue

I started getting error :
Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v11.0.11
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM

Hard Drive was bad. I tried it on a different computer and it did not work.

Bought a new hard drive (SATA 320GB 7200RPM). After I installed the new one, started the laptop, still showed the same above error (Media Test failure).

I bought a Neosmart recovery Disk for Windows Vista. I changed the BIOS option to CD first and then HDD. The new hard drive is recognized in the BIOS.
It asked me to select the layout,
Did not ask to select the operating system
Showed me the screen to different recovery options.
I Selected Automated Repair which ran for 30 minutes.
Result : Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem Signature:
problem Event name: StartuprepairV2
Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: CorruptPartitionTable
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
Problem Signature 10: 1168

I am not able to figure out how to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

Specifications:

Lenovo Y430
Operating System: Windows Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 / 2.0 GHz ( Dual-Core )

You need to use the Lenovo recovery media to reinstall the software on your new HDD.
Our repair disc is only for fixing the boot files on an otherwise working PC.
It cannot recreate a missing OS.
If Lenovo did not provide recovery media, and/or you didn't create portable copies from the hidden recovery partition while the PC was still working, you'll need to contact them for replacement media.

Thank you for replying.

I called Lenovo and the cost of recovery cd is $70. I am out of warranty for my laptop.

It may sound stupid but I just want to make sure that the above error (Media Failure) was only caused by corrupt Hard drive. I see on the internet that it can be caused by multiple reasons. Is there any other hardware failure as well that would be causing this.

I am going to order recovery media soon from Lenovo.

Thanks for your help.

That message is telling you that it's trying to boot from your network and is unable to do so because there is no connection.
Presumably this is because the normal boot device is unavailable (the old one broken, the new one still blank) and it's going down the list of things to try next.
When you put the CD in, though it's not going to be able to reinstall an OS for you, it is at least bootable, hence the previous message disappears, and it goes through the motions of a boot repair, but is unable to effect one because there's no OS present that it can work on.

Back