neogrub hiding vista drive and its inaccessible at startup

brer

Hi,

So i've been working at sorting a problem out for about 4 days now.

My laptop is a Vista X64 with 2 Sata drives, running XP Pro on the second drive. Up until this week it was running flawlessly using Vista HnS and easy BCD which I set up in June.

There was a major software issue on the Vista OS so I used the restore feature and ended up with a real headache from that point on.

Revived the Vista OS using the Vista Recovery iso, fine. Then XP was not available, no worries as I knew to use the XP CD i have with sata drivers. Revived the boot on XP and was back to 2 working operating systems with no hiding of the drives.... i.e. I booted into XP and could see Vista drive.

Went back to vista and attempted to reinstate Vista HnS but recieved the message that its already intalled. Attempted to uninstall HnS but and recieved a confirmation that it had succeeded. Reinstalled.... restarted....

but no hidden drive, all was still visible. retried, no luck still. unistalled HnS and reinstalled, still no hiding.

So at this point I didn't really know what I was doing, but i uninstalled the HnS and attempted to setup Neogrub from within EasyBCD. Restarted fine, got the boot screen fine, booted in XP and Vista was indeed hidden.

Great!

Reboot and go back to vista and the device is missing.
neogrub boot screen is active and i can boot into XP but the vista drive is inaccessible and i'm schtumpt.

any suggestions?
thnx in advance

Hi Brer, welcome to NST.
If you boot XP, but in the Neogrub menu hit "e" to edit, you should be able to edit the hide command and change it to unhide before you allow the boot to go ahead.
You'll then be in XP with Vista visible, and you should then be able to boot Vista.
From Vista, run HnS again, but make sure you delete any files with an HnS extension first. (HnS is still Beta and not as tidy in this sort of situation as it should, and will be when released)
If you still can see Vista from XP, post the menu.lst file it created in your system root, and also the log file created in the folder containing the UI.exe, and we'll take a look at them.

Back