newbie question on running win10 and win7

trk

I recently bought a used pc (hp 8200) that comes with win10pro. My plan is to run any win10 maint to get it up to speed. But the real reason for this is to add a separate ssd for win7 pro so that I can run my old win7 games. Am I correct in assuming that 1/ add new ssd and disconnect win10;2/ install win7 and whatever avail maint. At that time I should ideally have two entirely separate systems but with one drive disconnected. Would it make sense to then add easybcd to each drive while the other system is disconnected. And then have a system that is bootable into either win10 or win7? The win10pro along with my win10pro portable is for stocks but I would want the win7 to sometimes play win7 games.

Last edited:
If you do what you suggest, you will have two independently bootably OSs, each with its own single-entry BCD.
You don't need to install EasyBCD in multiple locations. It's a BCD management tool, not part of the boot process. You can execute it from its location (wherever that is) on the other PC if you need to.
That said, you will not be able to boot W10 from W7, only the other way round. (W10 is backward compatible with all earlier Windows, no Windows is forward compatible with an OS which hasn't been written yet (in its time-line))
So boot W10, install EasyBCD and add an entry for W7 pointing to whatever letter W10 assigns to W7 when it sees its drive.

If you do what you suggest, you will have two independently bootably OSs, each with its own single-entry BCD.
You don't need to install EasyBCD in multiple locations. It's a BCD management tool, not part of the boot process. You can execute it from its location (wherever that is) on the other PC if you need to.
That said, you will not be able to boot W10 from W7, only the other way round. (W10 is backward compatible with all earlier Windows, no Windows is forward compatible with an OS which hasn't been written yet (in its time-line))
So boot W10, install EasyBCD and add an entry for W7 pointing to whatever letter W10 assigns to W7 when it sees its drive.

thanks very much that really clarified the overall structure. so I would have to believe that once all is in place I can apply maintenance to each system
except I presume to the bios. thanks again

Back