No Sound

Cadur

I have a multiboot system, six systems of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 Pro and Home, all on their own drive. One day I realzed there was no sound on a Windows 10 Home OS.

I was not able to restore the sound. So I reinstalled the system. The sound was back. During the the installation of the programms etc. I made regular images with Acronis. But look, after a few days the sound was gone again. And when I restored the old backups, still no sound! (The speaker was not defective, it worked with the other systems). So the problem could not be with Windows. My focus fell on the boot manager EasyBCD. I wanted to switch it off. So I reinstalled Windows, had sound again and restored an image of the system. The sound worked! Conclusion: As soon as you change something in the boot settings with EasyBCD (version 2.4), the sound is cut off.

With the Windows bootmanager I am badly served, I cannot even change the names of the OS.

EasyBCD changes the contents of the BCD store to whatever you specify.
That's it.
It is not a boot manager
When you boot the system, the contents of the BCD are read by MS bootmgr and it produces a boot menu from that data.
If there were anything wrong with that information the chosen OS would not boot.
Nothing in the BCD has any effect at any other time than the boot.
EasyBCD does nothing else to your OS.
It is not, cannot be, responsible for anything that happens on your running OS.
This is the boot sequence

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

The information in the BCD (whether put there by EasyBCD, bcdedit, Windows Setup or any other utility program, is read in step 2. and that's it.
It's never seen again until the next boot (or another edit)

Thanks for the information.
In the meantime I have reinstalled Win 10 on the partition with sound problems and it has no sound! On another partition with Win 10 I installed EasyBCD Version 2.3 and saved a small change. After reboot: no sound. IIt becomes slowly tedious...

Check the event log between the sound being here and disappearing.
Look for problems with the sound card drivers in Device Manager.
The fact that something works and then doesn't work when you reboot would suggest that something in step 3 or 4 is failing to load.

Last edited:
The sound card drivers seem to be OK.
2 entries in the Event Log are interesting:
----------------------------------------------------------
Protokollname: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
Quelle: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Datum: 18.11.2020 09:35:01
Ereignis-ID: 2
Aufgabenkategorie:Session
Ebene: Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Session
Benutzer: SYSTEM
Computer: WERK14
Beschreibung:
Beim Starten der Sitzung "PerfDiag Logger" ist der folgende Fehler aufgetreten: 0xC0000035.
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{b675ec37-bdb6-4648-bc92-f3fdc74d3ca2}" />
<EventID>2</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>12</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-11-18T08:35:01.6794170Z" />
<EventRecordID>3</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="4720" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>WERK14</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="SessionName">PerfDiag Logger</Data>
<Data Name="FileName">
</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225525</Data>
<Data Name="LoggingMode">8388736</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
------------------------------------------------------------
Protokollname: System
Quelle: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Datum: 18.11.2020 14:15:34
Ereignis-ID: 219
Aufgabenkategorie:frowning:212)
Ebene: Warnung
Schlüsselwörter:
Benutzer: SYSTEM
Computer: WERK14
Beschreibung:
Fehler beim Laden des Treibers \Driver\WudfRd für das Gerät ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />
<EventID>219</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>212</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-11-18T13:15:34.4988519Z" />
<EventRecordID>1614</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="436" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>WERK14</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DriverNameLength">24</Data>
<Data Name="DriverName">ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&amp;daba3ff&amp;0</Data>
<Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
<Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
<Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>
<Data Name="Version">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the service Windows Driver Foundation-User Mode among the services. Also the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ wudfsvc is not available (Windows 10 Home, Build 19042.630)
I'll try it in a German Windows Forum to get a solution.

No problem.
One other thing to check,
Is your PC set to download and update drivers automatically (Control Panel > Devices & Printers > your PC) ?
It might be that you're not using the latest W10 version for your sound card and Windows Update won't fix it for you without manual intervention unless you tell it to.

Back