No System Recovery Options ??

dobby101

Hi All,
I am trying to recover Vista on an ACER Laptop. It won't boot, but opens a screen asking if I wan't to run windows normally or try the startup recovery.

Either option results in the same hung state.

I don't have any of the original disks. I have downloaded and burnt the recovery disk which boots fine.

I get to the Vista splash screen. I click the Repair your computerlink at the bottom left and that's where things stop working to plan.

It opens a system recovery options dialog ( searchig for instalations )
The instalation gets found. I select it and click next and it goes straight into the "startup repair" No option to select a System Restore or Command Prompt.

I see from the wikki and other postings that a System Recovery Options dialog should open at some pont which gives me the system restore, command prompt etc etc

Any thoughts on why I don't see the other repair options.

Thanks
Jeff

Yeah, just click next even though it cant find a installation to repair. See our wiki for manual recovery. Our recovery disc is only good for recovery and cannot be used for re-installing Windows.

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I appreciate that the disk can't install Vista. What I was trying to do was open a command prompt, or maybe try system restore.

These options aren't available to me. clicking Next goes straight into startup repair. I thought command prompt & system restore were both available from your recovery disk ??

I have run this several times but it returns the same result and the system remains unfixed.

Route Casue 1:
"System volume on disk is corrupt"
"Repair action: Filesystem Repair (Chkdsk)"
"Result: Completed Succesfully"

but no joy same issue, vista won't boot.

Cheers
Jeff

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I appreciate that the disk can't install Vista. What I was trying to do was open a command prompt, or maybe try system restore.

These options aren't available to me. clicking Next goes straight into startup repair. I thought command prompt & system restore were both available from your recovery disk ??

The Command Prompt and System Restore should both be accessible on the same page that Startup Repair is found, If i remember correctly...:wink:You should have a list of available options, one being Startup Repair, another being the Command Prompt, another being System Restore, etc. etc.

-Coolname007

Yes that was my understanding.
The problem I am having is that I'm not selecting the Startup Repair it's just running all by itself as soon as I confirm the installation and click next.

Anyone have anythoughts on why I dont get the "Choose a recovery tool" dialog ?

Cheers
Jeff

Yes that was my understanding.
The problem I am having is that I'm not selecting the Startup Repair it's just running all by itself as soon as I confirm the installation and click next.

What do you mean by "confirm the installation"? :S As stated previously in this thread, the Recovery Disk can only be used for recovery, not for installation of Windows. :wink:

-Coolname007

Yeah I appreciate that... ok here's the process step by step as it runs on my macine.

1. Boot the laptop with recovery disk in drive.
2. hit any key to boot form CD
3. laptop boots from CD to Vista splash screen
4. Select "Repair your computer" from bottom left
5. the next dialog to display shows the instalation of vista to be repaired. drive location etc etc.
( when i confirm that this is the instalation of windows i want fixed, by highlighting it and
clicking next )
6. the next dialog I see is the Startup Repair, which starts runnign straight away.

What I would like to see is the System Recovery Options Dialog shown about 1/2 way down this page http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
but I just don't get to see it. the repair your computer link goes straight into the Startup Repair via the above steps :frowning:

Ok...thanks for clarifying. :smile: That is indeed a strange problem, and might be due to a faulty Recovery Disk. Have you tried downloading and burning to a CD a new version, and then trying it again? I can't think of anything else why the "System Recovery Options" dialog is not appearing, and it just goes straight to Startup Repair. :wink:

-Coolname007

this was a new disk. ISO downloaded via bit torrent... but I can certainly try downloading again and bruning the ISO again.

If this is all it is it would be an easy fix :smile:

Reburnig the disk made no difference But....

See if you can cancel out of it before it locks up on you.

Yay !!! after the Startup Repair runs. The dialog has a cancel option. Clicking this opens up the dialog with the other options.

ok fingers crossed for system restore.

Many Thanks
Jeff

Back