Quadruple Booting, with Opensuse and Ubuntu installed in logical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheat

hi everyone

first of all let me start this by saying a big thank you to the developing team behind this unbelievably awesome program called EasyBCD, it made my life easier booting multiple OS. Ok this is what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to run four operating systems from a single harddrive.

I have a 300 GB harddrive divided into:

100 GB for Windows XP Professional (Primary Partition)
100 GB for Windows Vista Business (Primary Partition)
the remaining 120 GB is an extended partition with 6 logical partitions as follows:
15 GB for windows xp backup (NTFS)
15 GB for windows vista Backup (NTFS)
20 GB for Games (NTFS)

the remaining 50 is divided into 22 GB for linux partition ext3, and another 22 GB for another linux partition (ext3) and 6 GB for swap which could be used as a shared swap partition between any two linux os systems

Now, I'm planning on installing Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) into one of those two partition, and in the other one I will install Opensus 10.3 (latest edition)

I went over Ubuntu installation wiki guide and made sure, oh I forgot to mention this I have three harddrives in my computer a 250 harddrive used for data, another 250 gb harddrive also used for data, and this 320 gb harddrive used for OS' . If I used Linux terminology the OS harddrive would be labelled (hd1), since (hd0) is taken by one of the other two harddrives, and there's of course (hd2) which is reserved for data. as I was saying, after I went through the Ubuntu wiki on your website, I made sure to install the grub into the same root directory (/), and then when I went back to windows and used EasyBCD 1.7.1 to create an entry for ubunt within vista's bootloader, and I directed easybcd to the root directory of my linux installation.

On the next reboot, I choose that newly created linux entry, yet all I got was this message:

Lodaing new partition
Bootsector from C.H. Hochstatter
cannot load from harddisk
insert systemdisk and press any key

ok, that was concerning Ubuntu, now if we move on to Opensuse, I gotta say I got called feet because of their installer, which, by the way, I know it is so marvellous and easy to install, but honestly, I didn't know how to directy it's boot loader to install to its root directory.

so can you please tell me what I did do wrong with my ubuntu installation, and how can I manipulate opensuse's boot loader to get it to install to the root directory opensuse.

I am totally indebted to the neosmart technology for their unbelievably beautiful product easyBCD1.7.1, thank you so much for that..

regards
redheat

p.s: as you all have guessed this is my Desktop PC which is running on Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 4.3 GHz, E6600, my graphics card is Nvidia 8800 GT, soundcard is Creative X-Fi Platinum, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (version 3.3), I'm running all my harddrives on AHCI, the new SATAII technology one bridge from intel and another from Gigabyte. with 4 GB of 1066 SDRAM, my motherboard can support 1333 FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back