Recover Windows 2008 Server Disc Unable to Find Partition

tech504

Hi,
I need help. I am trying to recover Windows 2008 Server. I purchased Server 2008 Recovery disk.

When I select Automatic Repair I get the following message, “Unable to find any valid Windows partition on this computer! Make sure all hard disk are attached. If they’ve been lost due to disk corruption, you can try to manually recover the partitions with testdisk at the command prompt.”

Background Information:
I had a physical server die. The motherboard died. The hard drive was good. The operating system was Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition.

I can see the data on the hard drive. So I converted the HD to VHDX file using Disk2VHD tools. I took the VHDX file and copied it to a Windows Server 2012 running Hyper V. I created a new Virtual Machine and loaded the VHDX file. When I boot up the VM I get an error stating:

Windows Boot Manager

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

This prompted us to purchase the Windows Recovery CD from NeoSmart.

Can anyone help me with resolving this issue and getting the server to boot up? Thanks!

Attachments

• EasyRecoveryError.JPG
    EasyRecoveryError.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
  • WindowsBootManager.JPG
    WindowsBootManager.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 3
Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.
This is MS telling you you cannot boot a newer version of Windows from an older version of bootmgr.
Newer bootmgr will be fully backward compatible with all earlier versions of Winload (and their dig sigs), but older bootmgr has no knowledge of (to it) future releases of Winload and does not recognize the dig sig as genuine MS.
You must always use bootmgr from the newest OS you own to manage a dual-boot between different generations of Windows.
Either set your BIOS to start from the newest boot file location, or if that's not possible, rename the older (smaller) bootmgr in the root of your OS or boot partition and drag/drop a copy of the newer (bigger) version in its place.

In addition, Hype-V is using a disk controller not supported by the recovery environment, you can change the adapter type to something simpler to get it to recognize the disk.

Back