Should I be able to have more than one Windows installed on a new UEFI/GPT computer?

Steve17

On my old BIOS/MBR computers I have multiple drives and multiple Windows installations on each drive.

But now, I just built a "modern" computer with an ASRock UEFI/GPT motherboard and multiple drives and I got problems. When I install one Windows 10, it seems to run fine. When I install another Windows 10, I have problems. When I boot up from a shutdown computer, I get a screen showing both installations and asking me to choose. If I do a restart, I don't get that screen. It just boots up one of the OS installations. In most cases, the first one. That makes me suspect the board or the firmware.

Even when I get the choice screen, only the first choice works right. When i choose the second OS, the board gets reset and then it does load and run the second choice. Both OS installations seem to run fine when they run.

So the question is, should I be able to run multiple OS installations, and if so, should I return the mobo and try an Asus?

Oh yeah, another question if multiple OS installations is okay. Can I have that crazy partition that contains the Boot stuff on multiple drives? I tried that and the computer went crazy.

Thanks. I forgot about that fast startup thing. I ran into that thing 10 years ago when I was running Windows 7 and also checking out Windows 10.

Back