Tech changes in 2014.

Sarge

Distinguished Member
Hey guys, how is it going?

In past few years, many things changed. Many people died or left the company so i thought i could write my perspective.

As you all know, Steve Jobs died in 2011. To me it feels like yesterday. Last products he was involved in were iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and 4s. That's it, the end for mr. Jobs. I don't know about you but i can totally see the difference in Apple without him. I believe the tech edge has moved from Apple to Google, cause Google knows that Google Glass is the future. Google knows that the next big thing is going to be getting Google as close to human eyes as possible.

augmentedreality.jpg

In the next 5-10 years, we'll not only have glasses what let us search the internet and look up stuff, but it will be on our eye itself.

John Carmack heft the company he had founded (id software) to work on virtual reality gaming. As you may know, Carmack is the most advanced game engine programmer in the world. His whole life he has been doing stuff with his engine that nobody ever could, from side-scrolling on PC to inventing FPS genre, to making a game that can run on 60 frames per second on consols (PS3, xbox360) while all other run on 30 frames per second. Yes, that guy who was the first to move the limits in visual representation has stopped doing what he did and went to develop technology for virtual reality. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/oculus-vrs-john-carmack-develop-content-rift-headset/

In 5-10 years, there will be something amazing going on with all this stuff. And it's going to look pretty.

augmented-reality-contactlens.jpg

But that's in the future. What about now? Do you guys have any ideas for a tech start-up? It seems like everyone is doing that, or at least in my circles. I see many kids getting million of dollars to start their company. That's so exciting. Anyone has a billion dollar idea to share? :smile:

Last edited:
Hey Guru, long time indeed! How time flies...

Nah, not at the moment, I might be getting back to that soon as some things are lining up correctly it seems. But in the last couple of years, I wrote short stories before getting to novels. So yeah, you could say I am a writer now. I published a mystery/horror novel last year. This year I have a sci fi novel in works. People seem to think that my crazy ideas are interesting. :grinning: And when the next book is published, I might be getting ready to shoot a movie, if the correct things get together. So I'm still in entertainment area. There is a comic book (based on my novel) in works which will be published as an Android app soon. :smile:

How about you? How is it going?

What are the titles of these works? I am interested in reading something new all the time so it will be a good pickup to get and read thru. :smile:

But glad to see your still alive mate.

As far as the tech industry, who knows really. I mean 5-10 years ago I would never think 4GB of RAM would be low end on a machine. Would have never thought that we are where we are today with such things. I can see VR being a thing in the future, if they market it properly. I do remember Nintendo trying to do that with the Virtual Boy so many years ago and it failed. So only time will tell where we will be. I mean everyone thought 3D was gonna change the industry and that has all but flopped. I have 1 3D TV that we sell in store and barely any 3D movies. Then comes 4K stuff. I mean we thought 1080P was gonna last and now 4K made an appearance and bam! Flipped the industry on its side. I still dont know how easy it will be for 4K to enter the market. I mean if you think about it HDTV is still not completely mainstream. While many stations do offer HD variants, the vast majority are still using low def. Still get people in daily who are just buying their first HDTV let alone even thinking about the 4K market as it starts to emerge. So I think 4K is gonna have a tough battle to become the norm. Not gonna even factor in cost toget one but just to get devices that can utilize it. Yes the XBOX One has 4K compatibility but the PS4 doesnt. Nor the Wii U. So the gaming market is still not ready for it let alone the other media. Disk players and cable companies are going to throw a hissy when 4K breaks the market and splits the consumer base much like HD-DVD and BluRay not to forget VHS and BetaMax.

So it will be interesting to see where things start to go from here. With 4K being the focus for some, HDTV the focus for others while others still are not even ready for HD at all.

4K Blu-Ray is on the way too with disks of 100gb capacity: Next-gen 4K Blu-ray discs outed by manufacturer before official reveal | News | TechRadar

With that and 4K TV's the industry is ensuring itself future sales by constantly making the status quo obsolete....albeit years down the road in my case...when things are cheaper.

Oppo for one are offering 4K upscaling on their current range of BR players and I believe full 4K next year.

Regarding 3D, I now have quite a collection of 3D movies....some good, some less so. My Cableco does have 1 3D channel too, but it's very limited content and repeats itself over and over.

Next: Holographic TV.....? Who knows, I probably wont be around to see it anyway.

Nice to see you Sarge :wink:

Last edited:
What are the titles of these works? I am interested in reading something new all the time so it will be a good pickup to get and read thru. :smile:

But glad to see your still alive mate.

Sorry mate, those titles are only in my language for now. But I'll let you know when the comic book (based on my novel) is published on the Google Play Store. But it might cost you, $1,00 :tongueout: I'm not sure if that's too much or too little.

Nice to see you too, mate. I'm still alive and kicking. :smile:

As far as the tech industry, who knows really. I mean 5-10 years ago I would never think 4GB of RAM would be low end on a machine. Would have never thought that we are where we are today with such things. I can see VR being a thing in the future, if they market it properly. I do remember Nintendo trying to do that with the Virtual Boy so many years ago and it failed. So only time will tell where we will be. I mean everyone thought 3D was gonna change the industry and that has all but flopped. I have 1 3D TV that we sell in store and barely any 3D movies. Then comes 4K stuff. I mean we thought 1080P was gonna last and now 4K made an appearance and bam! Flipped the industry on its side. I still dont know how easy it will be for 4K to enter the market. I mean if you think about it HDTV is still not completely mainstream. While many stations do offer HD variants, the vast majority are still using low def. Still get people in daily who are just buying their first HDTV let alone even thinking about the 4K market as it starts to emerge. So I think 4K is gonna have a tough battle to become the norm. Not gonna even factor in cost toget one but just to get devices that can utilize it. Yes the XBOX One has 4K compatibility but the PS4 doesnt. Nor the Wii U. So the gaming market is still not ready for it let alone the other media. Disk players and cable companies are going to throw a hissy when 4K breaks the market and splits the consumer base much like HD-DVD and BluRay not to forget VHS and BetaMax.

So it will be interesting to see where things start to go from here. With 4K being the focus for some, HDTV the focus for others while others still are not even ready for HD at all.

I know that many people might not agree with me, but.. TV itself is a thing of the past, if you ask me. Advancing a TV as a device isn't a problem, the need for new advancements is a problem. If I would buy a huge TV, I'd connect it to computer so I can watch movies or play games. I know many people would not agree with me, but with Netflix and netflix-like services, I don't know who would need a TV station. But that's just me, everyone else might have a different opinion and that's okay. :smile: I just can't imagine anyone saying: "TV is the future, man. Go get a new TV, your old TV sucks, new one can have WiFi and you can surf the internet and stuff, and stream movies and tv shows." Really? Every phone can do that, man, go get a phone or a game console, or a laptop, or... wait, go get any other device which isn't a TV, man. True story, TV is old... :smile: But again, that's just me. For me, TV is a usless box which wastes my time. I might be a workaholic, eh? Damn.

4K Blu-Ray is on the way too with disks of 100gb capacity: Next-gen 4K Blu-ray discs outed by manufacturer before official reveal | News | TechRadar

With that and 4K TV's the industry is ensuring itself future sales by constantly making the status quo obsolete....albeit years down the road in my case...when things are cheaper.

Oppo for one are offering 4K upscaling on their current range of BR players and I believe full 4K next year.

Regarding 3D, I now have quite a collection of 3D movies....some good, some less so. My Cableco does have 1 3D channel too, but it's very limited content and repeats itself over and over.

Next: Holographic TV.....? Who knows, I probably wont be around to see it anyway.

Nice to see you Sarge :wink:

Nice to see you too, Peter. :smile: How's Toronto at this time of the year?

Have you seen the movie Oblivion with Tom Cruse? :smile: Well, I want that thing in which he flies in :smile: I want it.
OBLIVION_PIXOMONDO_VFX_04.jpg

Last edited:
Sarge,

Toronto has been rather frigid the last few weeks but is more or less back to normal today. Just above freezing and sunny. Yes Oblivion is a neat movie and yes I would love that flying gadget, even goes into space. Impossible design of course unless someone invents a super fuel that needs no storage space. I liked the folding electric bike, that's real. I also like Tom Cruise's acting but whenever I'm looking at him I'm wondering how he could have been such a fool as to join that awful Scientology so-called religion. That and the way he acted on Oprah Winfrey's TV show one day - just like a spoiled little brat, makes me sometimes wonder what's between his ears.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear many people don't like Tom because of that religion he is in. I don't know anything about that religion so I really can't say anything against it.

Peter, maybe they are using anti-matter to power the flying gadget? It should be able to work that way. But it surely is very cool. I'd fly that thing around all day long. :smile:

Yes, that even made the morning News here. Great idea to save all those painful blood sample jabs, as long as those circuits don't impede vision. I'm surprised it took this long but I guess we had to wait until circuits (& is that a solar cell I see?) could be made small enough.

Edit: Last night's news mentioned that Microsoft had come up with exactly the same idea a while back but never followed through. The Google guy they interviewed said it still needs a lot of work to actually be feasible for field use.

Last edited:
Back