The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been externally alt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

A friend has a dual-boot XP and W7 system.

XP is in a 21GB partition labeled 'D'.
Windows 7 is in a 211GB partition labeled 'C'.
When booting, the menu showed two options:
'Earlier version of Windows'
'W7'

He asked me to remove the XP option from the Boot Menu so that the PC would boot directly to W7. He wasn't particularly concerned about removing the XP partition as long as boot option was corrected.

I downloaded and ran EasyBCD 2.3 Beta Community Edition.

I checked out the online instructions then selected and removed the XP reference. So far so good. But I must have inadvertently clicked something else and the W7 reference also disappeared.

Now, when I go 'Add New Entry', select 'Windows Vista\7\8\10', name 'Microsoft Windows' on drive 'C', then hit the Add Entry button, I get the message "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid."

I've been careful not to reboot his computer and I'm sending this from another machine. Is there any way I can repair this situation?

Try resetting the BCD from the BCD deployment page, then re-adding the entries? You have nothing to lose at this point.

Wow. "Add an entry for W7". So those cryptic few words would have solved all my problems?

Durn! What a shame I felt compelled to look for advice on other boards after waiting 10 days for a relevant reply.

I hope your 'fine scones' never suffer from being left in the oven overlong.

Sorry, I look in here when I can, but life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way.

EasyBCD does prompt you to add a new entry after resetting the BCD and the online documentation covers all this in depth.

In fact, the specific link Terry shared to the EasyBCD documentation on resetting the BCD ends with this, highlighted in an info box:

Resetting the BCD will remove all entries from your bootloader. Make sure to re-add new entries for your operating systems (directions here) before rebooting your PC!

Wow, I guess all those millions of successful users of EasyBCD over the past decade must be computer geniuses then.
Or perhaps ....

Thread closed because we don't have time to help people who don't appreciate the help they're being given.

Please show more respect to our support volunteers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back