Triple Boot Bug?

I have 3 partitions - call them

P1 - Win 7 32-bit
P2 - Win 7 64-bit
P3 - Win 10 64-bit.

I use the Windows 7 Recovery Disc to reset my MBR.

I go into BCDEasy in P2 to tidy it up. I want Windows to offer me the list sequenced as P2 then P3 then P1. I save them as I want them.

I reboot, and windows offers me P2, P3, P2 (Again), or P1.

I go into P3 and BCDEasy shows me just 3 partitions - great.

I jiggle them around, just for fun. I save them.

I reboot, and Windows offers me P2, P3, P2 (Again), or P1.

I reload the Windows 7 Recovery Disc and it shows me P2, P3, P2 (Again), P1.

Why, please?

You might have multiple BCD files and the one your PC is using at boot is not the same one that you're seeing in EasyBCD.
If you rename entries in EasyBCD, is that renaming reflected in the boot-time menu?

Thanks for your reply.

I've been quite successful at doing this kind of thing at a high level - thanks to EasyBCD. Is there a simple way of me identifying multiple BCD files, without me getting into a lot of teccie detail? I'm prepared to trawl through Google to find the answers, but it would take me a long time ...

NeoSmart seem to employ people who fit the company name.

I'll find out where multiple BCD files could be located, and then I'll find a substitute for EasyBCD.

Don't bother replying - I won't see it.

Thanks for your 'help'.

I didn't ask you to find out if multiple BCD files are there or to dig in to the registry hives yourself. I asked you to rename an entry in EasyBCD and see if that change was reflected in the boot menu you saw when you started your PC. Literally a two-click and reboot process. Point and click the whole way through.

Last edited:
Back