Unable to access files even with Easy RE

Hi,

I've purchased EasyRE for Vista and tried, unsuccessfully, to fix my computer which (without EasyRE) can't even start up in safe mode (goes to windows repair and I end up with a large white cursor on a black screen)

EasyRE loads up and I've tried the automated repair option in Easy RE - but got the following message: "The selected partition is corrupted and could not be accessed or repaired. Please select a different drive to continue"

I also tried the partition repair option - and got the following message: "Could not get identity of device / dev/ada0 - Inapproprioate ioctl for device". When I click "ignore" it runs for a bit then gives me the following:

Check and repair file system (ntfs) on /dev/ada0s2
Calibrate / dev/ada0s2
path: /dev/ada0s2
start: 3074048
end: 625141759
size: 622067712 (296.62 GiB)

Check file stytem on /dev/ada0s2 for errors and (if possible) fix them
ntfsresize -i -f -v /dev/ada0s2
ntfsresize v2014.2.15 (libntfs-3g)
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read $MFTMirr: Input/output error
ERROR(5): Opening '/dev/ada0s2' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
NTFS is inconsistent. Runchkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.

libparted messages
Could not get identifty of device /dev/ada0 - Inappropriate ioctl for device

I also don't know how to start the computer with a DOS -prompt (pressing F8 on start-up doesn't give me that option) so I can run chkdsk and the EasyRE DOS prompt doesn't seem to offer the chkdsk option.

Can anyone help? If I could even get onto my hard-drive to backup my files that would be something (the "Browse/Backup Files" option does not work either)

Thanks

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Whatever it is, it seems to be caused be extreme filesystem corruption.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mahmoud and Terry. I used AVG Rescue to access the files on my hard-drive. It wasn't able to repair the computer, but I've been able to access the files to back them up. However, it is a long and painful process, as the file download keeps stalling every 20 or 30 files and I have to manually opt to skip the file! I'm no expert but this seems to support Mahmoud's thoery that the hard drive is badly corrupted. Anyway, the computer was about 7 or 8 years old and would have needed replacing soon anyway, so I'm not that annoyed - at least I'm getting most of my files back.

Anyway, once again, thanks both for your suggestions.