Using EasyBCD to set up multi-boot Linux options

br1anstorm

I have been a user of EasyBCD for some years. Back in 2016 I attempted to set up my Windows7 computer as multi-boot with three different Linux OSs (Mint, Lite and PCLinuxOS).

Long story short, it worked..... up to a point. EasyBCD managed to recognise, list, and work with Mint (which uses GRUB2 as bootloader) and PCLOS (which uses GRUB Legacy). But I had problems getting Linux Lite (which also uses GRUB2) to be listed and to boot up. It appeared that EasyBCD had an issue in dealing with two Linux OSs which both used GRUB2. In the end with the help of the Linux forums I did a lot of manual editing of boot files, such that EasyBCD's MBR boot menu showed Win7, or PCLOS, or "Mint & Lite". Then, opting for "Mint & Lite" showed a 'secondary' Grub boot menu screen to give me the choice of which of those two I wanted to boot. More details in this old thread .

I have to note that I'm not sure even now whether the problem arose because Linux Lite developers had (for some reason) tweaked their GRUB2 files in a particular way. I never did try a multiboot configuration using another different GRUB2 distro instead. So for years I've been using only Win7, Mint and PCLOS.

I'm now posting again before attempting a reconfiguration of my setup, to ask what I hope is a simple question. Is it now possible to use EasyBCD to organise multiboot (in BIOS/Legacy mode, not UEFI, with either Win7 or Win10) to add two or more Linux distros, all of which use GRUB2? If that is so, are there any particular steps or actions required to enable this?

All I can tell you is that I'm trying to create a dual boot with W10 and Zorin Linux. I installed both operating systems separately on 2 drives. Now I encounter a problem, Linux doesn't give drives a letter, this causes EasyBCD not be able to write the right script , so I cant startup Linux. BCD gives the Linux disc the C letter, which conflicts with the W10 C drive....

EasyBCD doesn't "give" the Linux drive a C letter. It chains to Linux via the Windows boot drive using ANG files (Auto NeoGrub) which must be located with the other boot files, hence the misaprehension that EasyBCDis pointing to the wrong place. It points to the place to find the pointer to the Linux drive, not directly to that drive. If you are having problems with the Linux boot hanging, make sure you're using the latest (2.4) release of EasyBCD.

Back