Vista recoveryy from blackscreen

I purchased the recovery disk and am having no success in booting up with it. It does boot, I just can't access the recovery menu as the display shows 'out of range'. I can see files loading and got a glimpse of the menu one time.

Original problem is a black screen with cursor immediately following the windows scroll bar at start up. I have tried safe mode, previous start points, and recovery items short of complete restart from the original state.

System is a Compaq dou-core running Vista Home premium with 3gb ram.

In running the recovery partition menu system checks, everything checks out except for an error on partition table repair -- 0x490 -- no OS files found on disk.

Should the recovery disk I purchased be able to help, e repair this?

Thanks.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
This sounds great but I can't seem to get to a command prompt. When asked to boot up with 'Vista media' can you clarify? I don't have the Vista disks but can reach the recovery partition and have the recovery ISO disk I downloaded. Again neither will get me to a command prompt. Same black screen. This forum entry describes my symptoms perfectly. Thanks.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
If you hit F8 during the boot process can you get to the Advanced Boot Menu and use the Command Prompt from there?