Vista SP1 Technical Refresh

ZoneTrav

Hi,

I tried to install the Vista SP1 technical refresh yesterday. The process involves ininstalling the prior installation first using windows update. Through the process I left my machine while the "uninstalling SP1 stage 1 of 3, XX%" message was displayed and returned about 15 minutes later to find a blue screen of death. Restart gave me a acpi.sys missing or corrupted error.

Besides realizing how stupid it was to do this while I am traveling, I also realized I left my Vista DVD at home, so I couldn't run Win RE. I swapped harddrives with a spare I carry, and started to look for ways to fix my main harddrive and it looks like EasyBCD might do the trick.

I took the problem drive and set it up as a USB drive and am looking for the BCD file to load and repair, but first I wanted to make sure I am on the right path. I will be home tomorrow and don't really need to do this right now except that I have some time on my hands and a 12 hour flight, so I thought I might try to learn something about how Vista boots itself up and come up with some strategies to prevent these things in the future (like creating an RE partition and copying the salient DVD files to my HD).

If you all could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Bob

Back