W10 Boot Loader, manager and System Reserved partition

marcel.zx

Hello,

here is my problem.

I had a SSD (112G) with W7 running. (partition Y)
Decided to upgrade to W10.
Bought a new SSD (232G).
Did a cleaned install of W10 on the 232G SSD (partition C)
without unplugging the W7 drive...

" and because Windows is so well conceived and documented"
I am stuck with the Boot Loader on the W10 partition (C)
and the Boot Manager on the W7 disk (Y)

did erased the W7 installation to eventually remove the 112G SSD
(the system is single boot)

the consequences?
~ if the W7 disk is removed, the computer cannot boot up and give an error like "Boot Device Missing" if I remember well.
~ last information, the BIOS is an UEFI kind

The ultimate goal is to remove the 112G drive. I did install W10 a couple of months ago, reinstalled my software and reconfigure the software and OS., I Hope there a way to fix that by "merging" the Boot Manager with the Loader and that the solution is not to re-install W10 again.

P.S.
I also switch the drives and change the booth order in the BIOS... to no avail...

W10_dm_01.JPG

EastBCD_01.JPG

Last edited:
from what I red, things changed starting with W7!

- this is not an XP/Vixta system
- this is not a multi boot system
- the drive to whom System Reserved partition has to be moved is :
already installed with the Boot Loader, W10 files, lots of software and
does not have free space at the beginning for the System Reserved
- Plus, I also red that the W10 System Reserved should be 350M and not 100M and
that the System Reserved "partition" is a new feature that started with W7.

So when I read the Changing the Boot Partition explanations, I do not exactly understand what will happen because of the lack of information maybe.

If I don't understand EXACTLY what will happen, in which order... that make me insecure!

Those instructions will make copies of the boot files where you tell it to (C).
It doesn't matter what the contents are (XP Vista, W7-10, single boot, multi-boot) It just replicates them from where they are now, to where you specify.
Just do it, then change the BIOS to boot from the new copy.
When you run Disk Management, you'll then find W10 flagged as boot, system and active, which will enable you to remove the old SSD.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

hello,

I had to go outside the country to work. Did not bring my tower. Now I am back and ready to tackle that problem... finally!

The System Reserved 100MB partition is at the beginning of Disk 1. If I understood well, it must ALWAYS be at the beginning, no?

So, I still do not understand (I must be a dummy) how the EasyBCD tools will move the C partition to make place and copy the System Reserved Partition at the beginning of Dive 0.

can I get more explanation on that?

Boot partitions only had to reside at the front of the HDD before XP. The early Windows legacy versions were not dual-bootable. The boot instructions were hard coded in a specific hardware location. From XP's NTLDR to W10's bootmgr, the BIOS (or UEFI) will find it wherever it is. (that's what the "active" flag is for)

Back