Want to create a boot menu for CD/DVD

magix-uk

After my PC's booted to CD/DVD I'd like the following type of menu to be displayed.
-
Menu
------

1) File wiper
2) Disk tools
3) Partition Manager
4) Linux rescue 1
5) Linux Rescue 2

Enter choice ?

-

Each option would then boot the relavent ISO file on the CD/DVD.

Can EasyBCD do the above, if it can't can you let me know what will.

=================

In BBC Basic it would roughly look some thing like this
-
10 print "Menu"
11 pirnt "------"
15 print
20 print " 1) File Wiper"
25 print " 2) Disk tools"
30 print " 3) Partition Manager"
35 print " 4) Linux rescue 1"
40 print " 5) Linux rescue 2"
45 print
50 input " Enter choice"; n
55 if n = 1 then filewiper.iso
60 if n = 2 then disktools.iso
65 if n = 3 then partitionmanager.iso
70 if n = 4 then linuxrescue1.iso
75 if n = 5 then linuxrescue2.iso
80 goto 10

Its a very simple piece of code but I don't know what language boot menus are written to do the above on modern PCs running Windows or Linux.

I don't know how to make ISOs boot from CD/DVD.

I don't know what I'd need to make a PC boot from CD/DVD to do the above.

I'd also like a Windows 7 PE version for the above menu but I don't know how I'd add that.

Any help would be appreciated.

EasyBCD adds, edits or deletes entries in the Windows BCD.
It takes no part in the boot process

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

The changes it makes come into effect during 2 above
You are still in step 1.
You have interrupted Windows boot and pre-empted it by giving priority to optical over HDD
What happens next is determined by the bootable section of code on the DVD over which EasyBCD has no influence.
That code is complex.
The author (of EasyBCD) with his computer science degree and many years of practical experience delving into the machine code level of both Windows boot and BIOS can do this (EasyRE is an example of such code, based on Linux)

Back